Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Another busy week

I've been fairly busy the last week or so.  Among others things, I wrote and mailed Christmas letters and cards to about 40 people; tried to sell my pottery at a the senior center; went to a craft show; had a doctor's appointment; and went to the theater; in addition to the usual music rehearsals and volunteer activities.

The pottery sale was a bust.  It was very poorly organized - no publicity.  The tables weren't set up before the doors opened.  Some people with tables were not selling, just showing off their wares. (I think that is just weird for a craft show!)  At least one person was selling used jewelry, not handmade stuff.  It wasn't supposed to be a yard sale!  The only people who came to the sale were the usual seniors who come to the center and they weren't buying.  None of us sold much.  Frankly, it was a big waste of time.  We won't do it again, that's for sure.

I have received my first Christmas card.  It's from my step-son and his family and is a collage of photos of him, his wife and the kids.  Even a photo of the baby who is due December 24!  My cards went into the mail today.  I'm glad to have that done.

The craft show I attended on Saturday was a pretty good one, not overwhelmingly large.  The place was mobbed!  Evidently it's a popular show.  There were about 140 crafters. The only thing I didn't like was that there were too many people selling jewelry.  This seems to be a problem at craft shows this year.  After the first 4 or 5 booths with jewelry, it gets a bit boring.  However, it was a pretty good show, all in all.  I didn't buy much - a pretty hand-painted ornament and a small ceramic face.  There were only two tables with ceramics.  Of course, I always look for that. 

The doctor's appointment is a rather humorous story.   I had called and asked for a prescription for getting the shingles vaccine.  However, when I went to pick it up, they said I had to come in to see the doctor because there was something on my records that needed to be followed up on.  So, I made an appointment and when  I came in for it, the doctor asked me why I was there!  I had to laugh.  (It's a practice with several doctors and I don't always see the same one.)  Luckily, I knew that the reason for the appointment was to discuss one of the findings from a physical exam I had months ago.  So we discussed my bone loss problem.  For various reasons, the only treatment that I can use involves hormones.  And here's the kicker - one of the possible reactions to this is -  HOT FLASHES!   Isn't that a hoot?  I'm 70 years old and I thought all that was in the past.  Life can be interesting.

 Sunday night I went with two friends to see 'The Sound of Music' at the Olney Theater.  It had not gotten good reviews in the Post, but I thought the cast did a good job.  The children were especially good, with wonderful voices.  Going places with elderly ladies is interesting.  Both of these women use canes and walk slowly, which is hard for me, as I always seem to be in a hurry.  There was some mix up with the seats, and we stood around and waited for the house manager to straighten it out.  Finally I made a bit of a fuss and insisted that we be seated, as one of my friends has trouble standing for any length of time and I was afraid she would collapse.  Sometimes you just have to be a bit pushy.  We were seated immediately, in better seats than our original ones.  The only thing I don't like about going to that theater is driving there in the dark.  The roads are full of curves and have no street lights, as it's in a rural area.  Still, I was the only one who could have driven there in the dark.  Anyway, we got there and back, safely.


Tomorrow  the Bain chorus has a rehearsal at Howard Community College for a musical performance we will be doing on Sunday.  We will be singing with a small choir from the college.  We know the music pretty well, but I understand that the theater we will be in is not good for small groups.  We will be rehearsing tomorrow, so at least we'll get an idea of what the acoustics are like.  I have no idea if we'll get a large audience or not.  That doesn't really matter to me.  I just enjoy singing with a group.

We've had unseasonably warm weather recently, but it may be ending tomorrow.  I heard a weather report that we will get rain all day, with a chance of snow tomorrow evening.  I"m glad I don't have to go anywhere that night.   Perhaps winter is coming after all.

1 comment:

Deb D said...

Hey Kathy -
The craft show that was well-attended was where? How do you get a table? Perhaps we can do it next year? Got your lovely, kitteny Christmas card. Have a wonderful trip across the drink!!