Monday, August 15, 2011

Long hot slow summer

I'm not posting much this summer mostly because nothing of interest is happening to me.  Also, I tend to put new information up on FaceBook and not on this blog.  If you've kept up with me on FaceBook, you may not want to bother to read this entry, because I"m going to write about "Wicked".

Last week, a friend and I went to see 'wicked' at the Kennedy Center.  The Kennedy Center is located in Washington, DC, along the river.  It's a beautiful setting and a magnificent building.  The problem was that neither my friend nor I had ever actually driven to the center.  I used to know DC pretty well, at least the area around the Mall, but I've only driven in DC once since I retired.  I thought we could use my GPS and find our way easilly.  We also had printed directions, but they were complicated, so we preferred not to use them. We were on NY Avenue entering the city.  After that I can't begin to say what streets we were on, except that the GPS thought we were somewhere and where we actually were was different.  Also, it was rush hour and we got stuck behind a bus for many blocks.  I missed a turn that the GPS wanted me to make and it was all downhill from then on.  It kept telling me to make a left turn, which was forbidden during rush hour.  We wandered around the city for what felt like hours, although it was only perhaps 20 minutes.  Finally, we got close to the Kennedy Center on 25th street - something like that.  Unfortunately the GPS insisted we were on New Hampshire, near 1st street!  We shut the damn thing off and just drove.  Somehow we found a sign to the Center and followed that to the parking garage.  Got there in plenty of time to eat a bite and wander around a bit.  The snack bar serves the most expensive sandwiches I've ever eaten.  $10 for a fairly large cold cut sandwich!  Water was $2.50.  The cookie that I bought for only $2.50 was the most reasonably priced part of the meal! 

After we ate, we went out on the terrace.  From there the views of the city are wonderful.  I wish I had taken my camera.  It was a clear afternoon with a slight breeze, so being outside was pleasant.  Eventually we drifted back in and lined up to enter the theater.  Our seats were great.  We were in the next to the highest tier, right in the middle of the back row.  I had brought binoculars which I used once in a while to see what the faces of the actors looked like.  Mostly we just enjoyed watching the entire stage.  It's a great show!  The sets, which moved around a bit, were very modern - looked like metal - very open and airy.  The only set piece that looked like one would expect was the huge head of the Wizard of Oz.  Sound system was great!  The orchestra did not overwhelm the singers, a problem I often encounter at musical shows.  That night the principal parts were sung by swing members, rather than the 'stars', but these gals had fabulous voices.  Although I would not normally pay $100 to see a show, this was worth it.

Now, having raved about the show, let me say that the Kennedy Center has some problems.  Of course it was built some time ago - before the idea of 'potty parity' was heard of.  What I mean is that there were two ladies restrooms open to the general public each of which had only 4 or 5 stalls.  There were long lines at both. One of the rooms was running out of toilet paper.  No one around to tell about the problem.  When we got into the theater, there was another restroom, but that one was only available to ticket holders. 

The other problem that we noticed was that in the snack bar, there seemed to be no one clearing the tables after people ate.  Some folks tried to take their dirty dishes back to the food area.  I don't know if they were able to leave the trays there or not.  We saw no place to put trays in our dining room.  An employee came along and said that due to budget problems, there weren't enough people to clear tables efficiently.  She told us to just leave our trays, which we did.  However, this meant that people entering with full trays had to sit at tables with the residue of previous eaters!  Considering the cost of the tickets, I find it hard to believe that they cannot afford to hire enough employees to clear tables or keep restrooms supplied.

Our trip home was similar to the one going to the Center.  The GPS kept telling us to get onto New Hampshire Ave, which actually is near the center, although we never found it.  GPS still thought we were near 1st street.  We finally turned it off!  Luckily my friend has a fairly good sense of direction.  (My sense of direction hardly exists!)  We managed to get into central DC and stopped to look at a map.  We knew where we were, so with my friend navigating, we set off for NY Ave.  And, amazingly enough, we found it!!  It was smooth sailing from then on. 

And that's my big adventure for this summer!


3 comments:

Pat said...

I'd have been so frustrated that I'd not even have made it to the theater....driving in any city is NOT my thing!!! It seems sad that the Kennedy Center is in such bad shape. I'm sure a lot of foreign visitors go there and come away with a bad impression of us based on what they find there. :(

Kathy said...

The Kennedy Center is still a beautiful building, with huge high ceilings and chandeliers. The Opera House, where Wicked was performed seemed very well kept up. It was just that there were some little problems that needed to be fixed. I think that they, like many other organizations, are running out of money for every day maintenance.

mumzy said...

DH tells me that I could get lost in my own back yard, so it was a good thing I was not with you. Glad you enjoyed the show,