Sunday, August 7, 2011

not yet ready for retirement community

Last week, I met with a rep from a not-yet-built retirement community, planned for just up the road from where I live.  It really interesting and I picked up a lot of info.  The biggest problem for me would be the floor plans.  The only ones I could possibly afford are quite small and have very little storage space.  My basement here has one small room entirely devoted to storing my seasonal decorations and pottery.  So, storage space is a must for me.  The other problem with this community is that they want 10% of the buy-in fee as a down payment.  I just don't happen to have $26,000 dollars available for that purpose!  It would sit there until I bought in or opted out, in which case I would get the money back, but since I can't spare that kind of money, the whole question is moot.  I may check out some other retirement communities, just to see what is available, but I think I probably cannot afford any of them.  That is, any of them that I would like!  I guess I'll just have to stay in my current house and hope I never reach the point where I cannot manage the stairs.  Since I am in good health, I'm not really worried about staying here, I just like to explore my options. 

Not much happening in my life at the moment.  Today I'm going into Alexandria to spend some time with my niece and her husband.  They are in the area for a wedding in his family.  They live in Wisconsin, so it's great to have an opportunity to see them without traveling a long distance.  I can't imagine how they are dealing with the heat here. I suspect that a 'hot' summer in Wisconsin, isn't nearly as hot and humid as it is in Maryland!

We had a thunderstorm and downpour yesterday afternoon/evening.  I'm delighted for the sake of my flowers and bushes, but was not thrilled to find that the drainpipe in back is blocked.  The rain was cascading down near the basement wall, which could be a problem.  I will have to get the drainpipes cleaned.  I was hoping to wait until fall, after the leaves are down.  They will need cleaning again then.  Oh well, just another 'joy' of home-ownership. 

Next week, a friend and I are going to the Kennedy Center to see 'Wicked'.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this show, but not looking forward to getting there.  My friend doesn't want to be the driver, but also doesn't want to take the Metro.  I really don't want to drive either!  It will be rush hour getting there and I've never driven there, although I do know the general area from having worked downtown some years ago.  I'm hoping I can convince my friend to use Metro. 

 These photos are of plants in pots on my deck.  These are all on the shady side of the deck and the coleus are especially doing well there.  Of course it's been too hot most days to sit out there and enjoy the plants!  Today is hot and muggy, despite the rain yesterday.  Summer in Maryland - what can I say?

2 comments:

Deb D said...

Wicked is supposed to be wonderful!!

Pat said...

I think you should just explain to your friend that if you have to drive there, it will have you stressed before going AND stressed during the show worrying about the drive back, so you really can't enjoy the show if you have to worry about driving. Maybe if you explain that to her, she'll reconsider taking the Metro. I hear ya about the retirement places, too. :(