Sunday, July 31, 2011

a bit of excitement - unwanted!

Yesterday my neighbor, Patty, phoned me in a panic asking me to come over at once.  She had gotten into a nest of bees/wasps and got stung in several places.  When I got to her house, she was inside, battling two wasps that had come in with her.  I killed one and chased the other outside.  Patty had some welts where she was stung and was in some pain, but did not have an allergic reaction, thank goodness.  She had been trimming a bush in her front yard, when the bees flew out by the hundreds.  Very scary and unpleasant for her.  I saw the swarm buzzing around the bush and around a plastic bag containing trimmings from the bush.  We think the bees must have had a nest in the ground under the bush.  The bees were very small, so I think they were sweat bees, except that they usually don't sting.  Patty was ok later, but not sure what to do about the 'nest' that she had disturbed.  I think she will buy some wasp spray (the kind you can use at a distance) and try to kill the bees.  She certainly can't go back to working in her flower bed while the bees are in occupation.  Now, I have to worry about what I might have among my flowers!  Makes gardening much less pleasurable, if one has to worry about bees.

Nothing exciting has been happening in MY life, recently.  Not that I'm complaining.  Excitement isn't as much fun as it used to be.  Today I am suffering from a sore back.  Evidently I pulled a muscle while vacuuming yesterday.  I don't know exactly what happened, but my back started hurting shortly after I finished the cleaning.  The same thing happened the last time I used the vacuum.  However, this time is much worse.  I can barely get up from a chair.  So much for attending church this AM or going anywhere in the car.  Hopefully, it will be much better by tomorrow.  I'm too busy to be stuck at home for more than one day!  I'm considering not using the vacuum again, but I need it to do the rugs.  I"m really not much for house cleaning, anyway, but once in a while I have to get the dust up.  Oh well, the house is clean for now.  I'll just have to be very careful next time I clean.

It's only 8:30 AM and I'm already bored with being 'trapped' at home.  Don't know how I'll manage to get through the day just sitting or standing around.  It's going to be hot today, so I wouldn't be working outside, but I could have gone out and done something!  It's funny how being at home for a day is fine when you can go out, but chose not to.  It's being stuck at home that sucks!  At least I have my computer to connect me to the world.  How did we ever live without the Internet?


 

2 comments:

Deb D said...

Indeed, when they don't take over our lives, computers do have their good points. connection to like-minded people is a bit easier. I have pots downstairs that are beckoning for a good pat so will go do that.

mumzy said...

Your friend was lucky that she is not allergic to bees - not a pleasnt thing to be stung by a bee.

Hope your back is better by now. A good excuse if you chose to use it for not doing any vacuuming. LOL