Monday, July 4, 2011

photos from out front

 I haven't much to say today, but here are some pictures.  It's going to be hot all this week with thunderstorms predicted.  We had the thunder last night, along with some fireworks, but very little rain.  I'll have to water later today, as usual.  If we continue to have dry summers, I'll have to think about planting some cactus!


This was an unusually lovely sunset.  The sun sets behind trees in the back yard, but this time we got a reflection off clouds visible from the front yard.   I love sky pictures  and especially if there is a pink sky.


These flowers are some that I had forgotten I purchased last year.  They came up and I had no idea if they were flowers or weeds!  Luckily I let them grow and got these beautiful blooms.  There is a name tag tucked somewhere near the base of the plant, but it's hard to find with all the other stuff growing nearby.  Yes, I know that my front flower bed looks like an English garden that has run wild!


 These are the phlox that the rabbit has not nibbled on.  I had some in a lavender color, but that pesky wabbit ate them!  I hate having my flowers destroyed, although the rabbit is very cute.  More to the point, he/she is much less destructive than the neighborhood ground hog.  My neighbor, Patty feeds the squirrels on the ground (corn) and yesterday evening, we saw the ground hog eating the corn, back behind the fence.  I hope he stays out there!
Luckily, the rabbit doesn't like cone flowers.  I think the ground hog doesn't like them either.  They are a wonderful perennial.  They come up every year, don't seem to care where they grow (pots or flower bed) and are not eaten by the critters.  Definitely, my kind of flower.  They also spread profusely, which is becoming a problem.  My space is limited and already full of plants.  If only I could tear up the front yard's grass and just have flower beds!

2 comments:

mumzy said...

What a lovely sky picture and your flowers are just beautiful. So far, we have been lucky that the local critters are leaving our plants alone.

Deb D said...

Are cone flowers the same as echinecea -if so, maybe make tea? Lovely sunset.