Saturday, February 11, 2012

Snow at last.

 Views from under the deck.  I love the way the snow clings to the bushes.
 This is a bush out front - Mahonia (aka Grape Holly)  It has nasty spikes on the end of the leaves, so it's probably not a good choice for where it is planted - by the front steps.  However, it blooms in February, which is such fun.  Lately, with all the warm weather, the scent from the blooms was very strong and attracted many little bees.  Getting in and out of the house had to be done carefully, so as not to disturb the insects.  We don't have honeybees, so I think these may actually have been yellow jackets (wasps), but they were so busy enjoying a winter treat that they just ignored me.  Thank goodness!

We have just a bit of snow.  Not enough to need shoveling or even sweeping off the front sidewalk.  Enough to cling to bushes and look pretty.  This is exactly my kind of snow.  If I feel energetic later today, I might wander around the neighborhood and take more photos.

1 comment:

Pat said...

We have some of those bushes, too. I'm not as happy about seeing snow as you are. We only got an inch but with all the drizzle today and the super cold temps, I know the roads must be total black ice tonight. :(