Saturday, October 25, 2008

house cleaning

I have a friend coming to visit next week, so I am using her visit as impetus to clean my house. I enjoy having a clean and dust free house, but I truly hate wasting time doing the cleaning. Basically, I do a lot of picking up, straightening up and spot cleaning on a regular basis. I only do major cleaning a few times a year - when I am changing my seasonal decorations or when company is coming. So this morning, I started dusting in the living room. I then moved through the dining room (not much to do there) and to the kitchen. I started just wiping one countertop, but somehow it escalated and I ended up moving all the stuff off and really cleaning. I don't know what got into me! I removed the burner pans and cleaned the stove. Even took a swipe at the fridge, although I didn't touch the freezer. (It has so much stuff piled in it that one cannot see if it's clean or not!) At this point the kitchen looks really good, except for the floor. Floors are next on my next list and I hope to get them done today. However, I will have to clean the upstairs tomorrow. I'm winding down fast now. Bathrooms are on the list, too, although the guest bath is pretty clean, as no one has used in quite a while. I really miss Andy (my 2nd husband, now living in Virginia) when it comes to house cleaning. He did the vacuuming, which I hate, and also the bathrooms. On the other hand, since he's not here tracking in oil and dirt from his job, I don't have to clean as often, so I guess it's an even trade.

We are getting a bit of rain today and a lot of wind. Interestingly, the temperatures are much warmer than the last few days. It's shirt-sleeve weather today, although it's a bit wet to be outside. A last gasp of summer, perhaps.

My studio is coming along. With the help of two neighborhood boys, I got my desk out of my car, finally, and into the house. I slid it down the stairs and it's in place in the studio. Fits perfectly. Today I tacked up an old plastic tablecloth on the wall, so that if clay, glaze or water splatters, it won't soak into the unfinished wallboard. If I ever get the clay recycled, I can actually work there.

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Isn't cleaning the house fun? We are under renovations here so it is impossible to keep clean at all times.

It is a rainy day here today and very windy. Being on the lake, we often get winds and today, the waves on the lake are like the ocean.

Enjoy your day!

mumzy said...

I just opened up my comments on my blog about the PIF contest. The only rules are if your name if picked, you agree to post a contest as well with a link to the person that picked you. Then you decide the number of names you wish to make a small item for. In my case, I picked three. When the contest is over, I will get DH to pick three names from a hat. I get in touch with each one picked, get their mailing address and send them the item. You can decide how long you can take to do this, I said 365 days, but I plan to do mine before Christmas, if all goes well. Any more questions, just contact me and I will try to help.

I will put your name in the hat, good luck!
Zoe