Wednesday, October 22, 2008

switching papers

When I moved to Laurel, 7 years ago, I switched from subscribing to the Washington Post to the Baltimore Sun. Laurel is just about equidistant from Washington and Baltimore, but I found that the Sun had more news articles about Maryland than the Post. The Post, being the paper for the capital of the US devotes a lot of space to politics. Anyway, I was very happy with the Sun until recently when, due I'm sure to fiscal constraints, they made radical changes in the paper. I won't go into detail, but will just say that the number of pages decreased radically (probably by one third to one half), the format went from 6 columns per page to 4, and they introduced a number of changes, which in my eyes, ended up 'dumbing down' the paper. So, I called them and cancelled and then took advantage of an offer from the Post to get really a cheap subscription for a couple of months. I've now been reading the Post for about a week and, although I do find there is too much political news, considering we are only a few weeks away from our Presidential election, all the papers are full of politics. So, I am adjusting to the Post and like it much better than the "new, improved" Sun. Yesterday I received a large envelope that turned out to be from the Sun. It included a booklet of coupons to various local activities - theater, sports events, etc. - , a book of cartoons by Kal, the Sun's political cartoonist, and an offer of a really cheap rate if I would come back to them. Do the people at the paper really think that this package will bring me back as a subscriber? I am insulted and amused that they think so little of my intelligence. I really should write them a letter and explain in detail why I think they have ruined a good newspaper. I probably won't do that - but it's tempting. Not that it would make any difference in the long run. I 'm sure that newspapers, like any other business, look at the bottom line, which is what their advertisers will pay, based on the number of subscribers. However, I doubt they will attract many new subscribers with their new format and they may lose others like me who want more real news and less fluff in their paper.

Patty and I have started doing something different on our neighborhood walks. We had noticed a lot of trash along the curbs and in the common areas, as well as in people's front lawns. So, we are carrying plastic bags and wearing gardening gloves now and picking up trash. One of us collects recyclables and the other, trash. The bending down is good exercise and we can still keep up a pretty good pace of walking. We do not go down to the creek, however, although there is plenty of trash down there. The creek runs through our development, crossing and recrossing the roads. The banks from the sidewalks to the stream are steep and we aren't going to risk a turned ankle by climbing (sliding?) down and struggling back up, just to get a piece of trash. However, one day, we plan to make a trip specifically to climb (carefully) down those banks and clear the stream. Last night we gathered a full bag (grocery bag) of trash, but only a few bottles and cans. Even if we don't find much, it is something that will make our neighborhoods look better and help the environment - and it's easy for us to do.

1 comment:

mumzy said...

The change in newspapers must be in the air as our daily newspaper has also changed. I love to do the cryptoquote and they had changed it to a very small area. Someone wrote to the editor and as of last week, they changed it again to its original form. So complaints sometimes work.

DH and I also make special efforts to collect garbage on our road - two miles through woods before getting to the residential area. It is amazing to us how people can just throw garbage out their car window instead of taking it home. Good work for you and your friend.