Sunday, August 8, 2010

Shopping

Friday, Kate and I went shopping while Geoff and the kids went to the city pool.  They had a blast and we enjoyed being in stores without having to worry about where the kids were and what they were doing!  We shopped in Target, where I bought a couple of paperbacks, then on to JoAnn's.   I should never go into a fabric store.  Considering that I do very little sewing, you would think that I wouldn't buy anything.  It doesn't work like that. I love fabric!  Wonderful colors and patterns.  I just don't really enjoy doing anything with it!  Anyway, I bought a small pile of fat quarters for $.99 each.  How could I resist a price  like that?  Kate also bought some material.  There were wonderful decorative buttons at 40 or 50 % off.  Again, I could NOT resist.  I may actually use some of those on ATCs.   Then we went into the scrapbook section of the store.  Stickers and more stickers and decorative paper on sale.  Got a bit of each.  It was a very successful shopping trip and lots of fun.

On Saturday, we just lazed around.  Steve and Christine left for the airport after lunch.  Kate and I did laundry and switched bedrooms, so that I was back in my room and Kate in the guest room.  (The bed in the guest room is a 3/4 size bed - not big enough for two people.)  We moved clothes and switched bathrooms, so that I and my stuff are back where we belong.  Later, Kate and I and the girls went to Walmart where the girls got some shorts and T-shirts and Kate made copies of the Busch Garden photo.  Our WalMart has been expanded and remodeled recently.  The last time I was there, the parking lot was a mess and the store was still being rearranged.  This time it was all done and looked very modern.  Of course, I couldn't find anything because it was all moved around.  I got a good deal of exercise looking for various departments and trying to keep up with the girls!  We ate an early dinner and   Kate and the kids drove Geoff to the airport for a 9 PM flight.  I stayed home and relaxed. 

Today we got up late.  (Well, actually I was up fairly early - 6:30, but the rest of them slept late.)  We went to the IHOP for brunch.  The kids and Kate had various kinds of pancakes, along with eggs, bacon, and hash browns.  I had stuffed French toast, with strawberry topping.  Everyone agreed that the  food was very good.  Then we drove up to Ellicott City, an historic city with many stores that appeal to tourists, i.e., antique stores, boutiques and gift shops.  We skipped the antique stores, as the kids aren't interested in them, but did check out the others.  Kate also took Alex to the train museum, while the girls and I shopped.  All of us women bought some summer outfits - sweaters for the girls and Kate and a dress and a sweater for me.  Everything was greatly reduced, so we really got some bargains!  I bought Kate a lovely Raku pot for her birthday (in November).  We both loved the pot, but I have so much pottery and I actually make Raku pots, so it seemed right to give it to her.  On our way back to the car, we got smoothies because we were hot and thirsty.  We are home now, tired but happy.  Leftovers for dinner.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad you are having such a happy visit. How much longer will Kate and the kids be able to stay?

mumzy said...

Looks like you made out great at Jo-Ann's. In Maine, they have a place called Mardens, and that is the place for wonderful materials. I don't remember them having too much notions, but fabrics galore, most of it at $2.99 or less a yard.

It is great to see you are enjoying your visitors.