Saturday, January 22, 2011

Love/hate relationships

I should say that I really like the stuff sold in IKEA.  I've purchased quite a few things there over the years.  So I went there yesterday to look at lamps.  They are remodeling the College Park store, so it is even more difficult to get around inside than usual.  I went around in a big circle at least once, trying to get to the lighting section.  Finally had to ask an employee who said to follow the signs.  Of course, I thought that was what I had been doing, but evidently I had missed one or something.  I did get there and found two lamps that were pretty much what I wanted.  Now, I have this really cute, skinny, little red goose-neck desk lamp with a flexible stem that is adjusted so that it shines on my keyboard, but not on the screen and not in my eyes.  Problem solved!  (I needed this lamp because I have a black keyboard, which is great for not showing dirt, but makes it hard to see the keys.  I don't have to look for typing letters, but need to see the other keys, as they are located differently than on my old keyboard.)  The other lamp is a floor lamp, tall and thin to go in the living room.  I picked a shade that I liked - white with flowers - and it looks fine in the room.  LOVE my new lamps.

However, putting these items together was another story.  Ikea uses drawings with no words to show how to assemble their products.  I'm terrible at following pictorial directions.  Give me words, please.  (I'm bad with the diagrams on credit card machines, too.  Always have to try several times to put the card in the right way.)  I'm really good with bookcases, having assembled many of those, but lamps are a new thing.  It took some time before I figured out what the diagrams were telling me to do with the little red lamp.  It was really pretty simple, mostly just screwing the base onto the stem, after one unscrewed the screws and washers from where they were attached for shipping.  The floor lamp was actually easier, as it was mostly just screwing the three sections of the pole together.  However, there was this odd plastic piece that one picture showed being removed.  Luckily I did not throw it away!  When I put a bulb in the lamp, the shade tilted and was obviously too loose.  Finally I figured out that the plastic piece needed to go back on the lamp to hold the shade in place.   HATE Idea's pictorial directions!

This was my week for dealing with problems around the house.  I had a very positive phone conversation with Verizon yesterday, which really surprised me.  The background story is that last month I noticed a couple of games had been added to my bill.  This started in October, so it could not have been my grandchildren's doing, as they left in August.  So last month, I called Verizon and spent nearly an hour on the phone with a tech person while she tried to remove these two items.  She failed!  Finally, she did tell me that she would keep on trying and would call me back.  She never called and I forgot about it until I got this month's bill and there those charges were again.  I was pretty pissed and was ready to really blow up at Verizon.  So, yesterday I called Verizon again.  Didn't have a long wait for a tech person and this amazing woman proceeded to remove the offending items within about 5 minutes.  Furthermore she said she would refund me all three months charges, since I had not ordered these items.  Just like that!  I guess she must have done it because I have since received 7 emails from Verizon, basically telling me (several times) that they had done this and I would receive a credit on the next bill.  Frankly, I was ready to quit Verizon altogether and look for another wireless provider as well as cancel the TV.   I didn't have to threaten to do this, because this time the tech person was not only personable, but also quick and competent.  LOVE good customer service!



This morning three guys from FloorMax came to fix my vinyl flooring.  It just recently developed several bulges.  These fellows pulled out the stove, the fridge and moved a hutch.  They pushed and pulled to no avail.  Finally they said that they didn't have time to fix it today and would reschedule the appointment.  That's ok, as the little wavy places in the floor aren't very noticeable and don't interfere with walking.  The guys said that it was the heat being on that caused the vinyl to stretch.  I had figured it was that.  What I want to know is:  when I"m using the A/C next summer, will the flooring shrink?  Hopefully, that won't happen because the flooring is anchored under the molding at the edges of the room.  Time will tell.  LOVE/HATE?  I'll decide when the floor is fixed.

2 comments:

Deb D said...

Funny - the good, the bad, the ugly. Hope your vinyl is fixed as I'm going to do mine same as yours!

mumzy said...

My daughter picked up an entertainment center from IKEA and you are right, pictoral assembly instructions. She managed ok though as her hubby was there to help. You have had quite the week. Hopefully, you will get everything fixed up soon.