Thursday, January 27, 2011

snow in January

We got just about what was predicted for last night's snow.  Amazing when that happens.  Seems like far more often the weather predictions are way off.  So around 8 AM I went out to shovel my sidewalk.  The snow (maybe 8 inches) had a crust on it and was rather heavy.  I had to scoop off the top crust and dump it and then get the bottom layer.  The hard part, of course, was throwing the snow back into the yard.  I sure hope I didn't mess up my back doing it.  I won't know until tomorrow.  Anyway, the trees and bushes look lovely covered with snow.  The sun is shining brightly, so we'll get some melting today.  Unfortunately, it will probably freeze up overnight, which may mean that the roads will be worse tomorrow than today.  Our development's streets have not been plowed so far.  We have a contract for that and they are supposed to plow within 12 hours.  I have not tried to get my car out.  My boss at the hospital gift shop told me not to come in, so I can just leave the car until later today.  I will try to clear it out before the temperature drops tonight.

I thought my neighbor's red car and the bits of the poinsettias under the snow looked nice together.  The tree covered with snow is two yards up from my yard.   The big trees with snow-covered branches are along the stream behind my yard.

 This morning, I threw some bird seed out on the deck, on top of the crusted snow.  Had squirrels and birds competing for the food.  The cardinals were very pretty, but the squirrels chased them away.  Speaking of squirrels, one is on the bird feeder now, trying to figure out why he can't get at the seed while he sits on the perch.  His weight closes the feeder up, but he doesn't understand that.  He finally gave up and let the birds have their food.


If I were ambitious, I would get my outside stuff on and go out with the camera to take some snow photos.  Maybe I will do that in a bit.  With the sunshine, the snow will soon melt from trees and bushes.  Or maybe I'll just stay inside where it is warm!

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Your area looks like our area. The only difference is that we are still having a snow storm today with stiff winds that create drifting. I will be happy to see the end of this snow.

Kathy said...

I'm sure you get far more snow than we do. Maryland usually only gets one snow storm each winter. I hope this is our only one. I've shoveled enough snow today!