Friday, October 15, 2010

dinner and a show

 This wreath is hanging on my front door.  The scarecrow is in the front yard.  The birdcage with the little owls in it, is in the living room.  I bought the birdcage at a yard sale last weekend.  Saw these owls at Michael's and couldn't resist them.

Today the weather is beautiful.  I'm hoping to get outside for a walk sometime later.  The leaves are beginning to turn red and gold.  Trees behind my house don't get very colorful, but others in the neighborhood do.  Maybe I'll get some pix when I go walking.

Last night, a friend and I went to see "Rent" at Toby's Dinner Theatre.  ( We had free tickets compliments of my granddaughter, Olivia.  She won them while she was visiting this summer, but didn't have a chance to use them, so I got them.)  When I called to make the reservations, the ticket seller asked me if I knew what the show was about.  I guess I seemed uncertain, because she proceeded to tell me that it included scenes about AIDS, homosexuality, dying, profanity, sexually suggestive dancing and more.  I had to chuckle, as I told her that although I am an old lady, I am not offended by those things!

It was an interesting show.  Unfortunately, as usual at Toby's, the background music was so loud, that I missed some of the lyrics.  Most, although not all, of the show was sung.  The female lead, who was the waitress at our table, had an amazing voice - a huge range and very expressive.  Interestingly, her spoken voice was nothing like her singing voice.  I really liked the music, despite it being loud.  Luckily I had left my hearing aids at home.  The dancing was incredible - lots of running and jumping on and off props.  And those dancers could do things to their bodies that made me shudder.  How can they  jump and stretch and contort themselves while they are singing?  Of course most of them were young, but I couldn't have done that when I was young!

2 comments:

Deb D said...

Aw come on - we can do contortions - we just can't get out of them. Beautiful fall - please post pix. Thanks

mumzy said...

Sounds like you have a great time at the show.

Love your Fall decorations.