Thursday, October 7, 2010

Raku firing


Last night we did a Raku firing at my ceramics class.  I LOVE Raku.  The results are always somewhat of a surprise.  The process has some moments of worry - imagine using tongs (and asbestos gloves) to life a red hot object from the kiln to a barrel filled with straw.  The lion mask was the tricky one.  I needed two tongs (one in each hand) to lift it, but I didn't drop it, so all was well.  The firing ran late, as it always does, and it was 10:30 when I got home.  Then I had to shower because my clothes and my hair smelled like smoke, from the straw in the barrels which ignites when the hot piece is put in. Anyway, it was midnight by the time I was wound down enough to go to bed.  Of course, this morning, when I wanted to sleep in, I woke up at 5:30 and finally got up at 6.  I'll be ready for bed tonight, that's for sure.

Note:  there is only one vase, but I am showing two sides, as each is different.  I used 5 glazes on it.  The unglazed parts are the gray sections.  I really like this vase.  It's different from my usual decorating.  I often carve designs in my vases.  This time, I added the decorative pieces after construction. 

2 comments:

Pat said...

Your work is always so interesting. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Deb D said...

Very nice - lion mask interesting and different. Thanks.