Saturday, January 14, 2012

back in the swing

It seems as if I jumped right back into all my activities here when I returned from England last week.  No rest for the busy, I guess.  Actually I enjoy all my activities and like being busy.  A few things have changed recently.  I gave up volunteering at the church library back in the fall, when I joined a senior choir at the Bain Center.  Singing with the group was great and I will continue with them.  The choir is on break just now, but will resume sometime in the spring.  The other major change in my schedule is that the pottery class I used to teach is not currently being held.  The rec center wants to have at least 6 students in the class and they only got 2 for the latest session.  So, I'm not teaching on Monday afternoons.  I really miss the women who were in that class.  Also, the money was nice - it wasn't a huge amount, just 'running around money' but ....  I don't want a job that ties me down and in today's economy, I haven't even considered looking.  Luckily my retirement is sufficient for my needs.  I signed up for a Raku class at Montpelier Arts Center.  I try to get in at least one of these sessions a year.  Raku firing is so different from regular kiln firing.  The pieces are very unique - I love them. 


 While I was in England, I took many photos  - mostly of the trip into London to see the lights.  I put a couple of pictures up on Facebook, but will post some here as well.  We had a very good day for that excursion - it was warm enough for us to NOT NEED COATS!  In addition to the store windows, we chanced upon a Christmas fair, so I have photos of the brightly decorated booths and rides.  With sunset coming so early in December (about 4 PM) we were able to wander around to view the street decorations and still catch a train home in time for dinner.
 The first photo is self-explanatory - Kate giving Alex a hair cut.  His hair was really long (for Alex) when I arrived, but I think he likes it shorter - just like his dad.

These other photos were taken at the Christmas Festival in Hyde Park.  The booths were highly decorated, as you can see.  We didn't buy anything and the kids didn't beg to go on rides, which surprised me.  We did get a bit to eat/drink.  Alex had cotton candy, Kate and I mulled wine.  I forget what the girls nibbled on.  Despite the crowds, it was fun just strolling around the festival.  We walked from there back into the shopping district to view Christmas displays.  I'll save those photos for another entry.


2 comments:

Deb D said...

Hey Kathy - the fair photos are great -unusual street display. I will try to take a trip up your way in February - have a nice unoaked chardonnay for us to try.

Kathy said...

You'll be welcome, even without the chardonnay. Let me know date, as I have (possibly) a meeting with my niece in late Feb.