Friday, January 27, 2012

My busy week

I am the jewelry buyer for the hospital gift shop.  I volunteered for this job last spring when the shop got a new manager.  It's really fun!  I get to look at an incredible amount of pins, necklaces, scarfs, bracelets, rings, earrings and watches.  Then I chose items that are affordable and that I think will sell in the shop.  We try to keep our prices under $20, although sometimes necklace/earrings sets are priced a bit higher.  This week we had two buying opportunities - one at a discount place in Rockville and the other from a company whose rep brings samples to us.  The place in Rockville has a much wider selection, but it's a bit more expensive on some items.  I bought from both vendors.  After selecting jewelry for this spring and summer, I then have to put our price on each piece.  Finally, I rearrange the display cases to include some of the new items.  I can't do much of that on the days when I'm running the cash register, so I went in several times before the shop opened.  The only day I wasn't there this week was Tuesday.  It's almost as if I was actually working at a paying job!  Next week will be back to normal.

One of the things I did recently was explore whether I could get a lower rate on my mortgage.  This was an interesting experience, although not profitable.  I applied on-line and subsequently received a letter telling me that I was qualified for a 15-year mortgage and what the interest rate would be.  They did not mention other fees, so I was hoping those were wrapped into the amount of loan they mentioned.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  When I spoke on the phone with a rep, they quoted me a higher monthly payment, which included various fees.  This is the company that already holds my mortgage, so it seemed to me that they did not need to run a title search; pay taxes in advance; and do a couple of other things that are related to a NEW mortgage.  However, they say that is not the case and they have to do all the various paperwork and issue me a new mortgage.  Too bad.  I said 'no thanks'.  I have a rather small mortgage, so the interest isn't much of a burden, despite my rate being higher than what is now offered.  I think they are not really interested in refinancing a small mortgage.  They kept asking me if I didn't want to borrow extra money.  Oh well, at least now I know not to bother with refinancing.  Lesson learned.

I am taking a Raku pottery class again this winter.  It's rather expensive, so I only do this once or twice a year, rather than just continuing to take the class year round.  I don't have any photos from that class, as the first firing is still a week away.  "Watch this space" as they say.  There is more to come.

I also signed up for the 'Bain Senior Chorus'.  We start rehearsals next week.  I have no idea what kind of music we will be singing.  (At Christmas, it was mostly pop music and carols).  Our next concerts are in May.  Singing with this group is fun.  So far the music has not been very difficult, but it's interesting music.  A few years ago, I joined a large interdenominational choir that sang religious music.  The sound produced by about 100 voices was amazing, but the music was dreadful.  It was corny and simplistic - just not my kind of music.  I stayed for one concert, but that was all.   I sing in my church choir and really enjoy the music there, but it's not really enough, so I'm always looking for other singing groups.  Unfortunately, most of them meet at night.  I'm really tired at night, so I try not to get involved in evening activities.  I currently have two a week, sometimes three.  The Bain chorus meets day times, which is great for me.

Today our lunch group, which is very small this week, is trying a new (to me) restaurant in Hyattsville - Busboys and Poets.  One of our group has been there and recommended it.  She gave me directions, which I hope I can follow.  I used to know the area really well, as I worked near there, however I haven't been there much in the last 20 years.  Wish me luck finding the place!

1 comment:

Deb D said...

Hyattsville and its gateway artists project is really changing Hyattsville. Busboys and Poets is the famous "activist" restaurant where the busboys are poets sometimes and meals can be very natural, local, and "thought-provoking", I've heard. Let me know your experience. Thanks/