Thursday, April 9, 2009

lovely spring day

It was sunny today, with scattered clouds in a bright blue sky. I was inside most of the day because on Thursdays I work in the gift shop at the local hospital. Today I was working alone; usually two different ladies are working with me - one in the morning and another in the afternoon. It was fairly busy early, then very slow. My relief came in early, so I got to come home in time to sit outside in the sun. Unfortunately, it was rather windy this afternoon. The wind kept blowing my newspaper away, so I came in.

Still, it was much nicer than yesterday when I was waiting for a buses to get me from and to the car repair place. My neighbors who usually drop me off or pick me up are both out of town, so I was on my own for transportation. I'm really glad we have bus service and that it is cheap and more or less dependable. It requires some careful planning, however, because the local bus only runs every hour. Anyway, it was fine - got me where I wanted to go. That's the good news. The bad news is that my car isn't fixed yet. They did find the problem - a leak in the water pump. This means I have to take it back in next week and it will cost plenty to fix. (Not anywhere near as much as the last problem, however.) I do wonder if this car is wearing out. It's only 8 years old, so it shouldn't be falling apart. I just keep telling myself that having it repaired is MUCH cheaper than buying a new car!


When I finish this blog, I will go over to my neighbor's house and feed her cat. I'll sit there for a while and pet the cat, so she won't be too lonely while her owner is away. She's a sweet cat and this way I get the benefit of having a cat to enjoy, without actually owning one! Works for me.

Tonight the church choir is singing at our Maundy Thursday service. It's a lovely piece and I enjoy singing it, but I'm tired and it's hard to leave home after spending a day at the gift shop. I'm really spoiled now that I'm retired. I used to work 9-hour days and then go out and do things in the evenings. Perhaps I'm getting old? Nah! Life begins at 60, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Pat said...

I know what you mean....I find it increasingly harder to go out at night now that I'm retired. We have to do music the next 3 nights (and days) at church and I'm already tired thinking about it....but...I also love doing it, so I'll survive and we don't have family here for this weekend, so I won't have to come home and cook and be a "hostess". Have a wonderful Easter weekend, Kathy.

mumzy said...

Life begins at 60? That is what I always believed. LOL

Hope your vehicle troubles are less than the last ones.