Tuesday, June 9, 2009

another thunderstorm or two..... or three?

I woke up this morning when the thunder sounded at 6. It was really loud and continued for several minutes, accompanied by rain, but no wind. Some places got hail, but not us. By 8 AM, the rain had stopped and an hour or so later, the sun was shining. We all thought we had gotten lucky and it was going to be a beautiful day. And so it was, until about 5 PM when the storm returned with thunder, lightening, rain and wind! Luckily, the wind only lasted a few minutes, but it blew a lot of leaves down. My plum tree leaned a bit, but I was able to pull it back up fairly easily. However the wind blew my neighbor's metal table all the way across her deck! My deck is sheltered by the wall of the two homes on either side. (The townhouses are built so that one is set forward and the next one set back.) Therefore, I get very little breeze or wind on my deck. My wind chimes never ring, but on the plus side, my metal table doesn't travel! I just heard thunder again, but I think it's a passing storm - no rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, mostly.

Today a group of us went out to lunch after our ceramics class. We ate at the country club in Columbia. It's a nice place and looks out over the golf course. The people in that ceramics class are very social. Some of them have been in the class for years and know each other very well. Others, like me, are newer and are still struggling to remember names. Some folks seem to be there just for the socializing, but that's ok. None of us are 'production potters', i.e., selling our items and making money on them. We're just there to play with clay! I haven't completed anything lately, but may have some things in a few weeks. I'm trying to make some really nice things as a wedding present for the daughter of friends of mine. Luckily, I have until fall to do this. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this. I don't think the bride reads my blog - hope not - although her mother does.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Morning storms hit us with lots of rain and lightning....heard them tonight but they went a bit south of us.