Monday, June 29, 2009

a nice visit

I returned yesterday from 5 days up in western New York State - God's Country (in the summer). I had two luncheons with high school friends - good food and good conversation. Also went to the alumni banquet. Again good food and friends. Somehow, in between all that, I did manage to spend some time with my brother and sister-in-law. And, of course, I shopped and shopped. There are many interesting antique stores along route 15 through Pennsylvania. Hammondsport, New York (on Keuka Lake) is only a few miles from Bath (where I was staying) and there are several very nice antique stores as well as a wonderful fabric shop in that little village. I bought antiques for me and fabric for Kate (mostly).

It was a wonderful trip, although the drive gets longer and longer, as I get older. I will only show a couple of things I bought on this trip, as many of the objects are more little animals. I also bought two more small shelves, but I really don't have a place to put more than one of them. Will have to think more on this problem. I suppose the solution is to STOP BUYING STUFF!!! I sure hate to do that. Among other items I bought is a used bicycle. It's an old 3 speed and still works fine, as far as I could tell. I, however, need some practice riding. I was wobbling all over the place. I got a bargain on the bike and have been considering buying one for several years now. What I didn't consider until I had the bike in the car is: where in my house will I store it? I live in the middle unit of 8 townhouses. It's a long ways from the back yard around to the front and it's tricky, as we are on a hill. I don't want to have to wheel the bike around from the back every time I want to ride. And my backyard shed is full anyway. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to keep bikes out front - and there is no place there to store it. Now we are looking inside. The bike is too big for the basement stairwell landing. Soooo - that leaves the living room or dining room. It took up too much space behind the couch. I could put it in the dining room, but that would displace a keyboard on a stand and I don't have another good place for the keyboard. Finally, after some maneuvering of the computer table, I put the bike behind that table. From the living room, it can't be seen, as there is a screen separating the rooms. I think this will work, but I haven't tried it getting it out. I will, of course, have to wheel it down the front steps and back up, but it's not too heavy.

Here is a photo of two glass birds that I found on my trip. Also a snap of the latest batch of little animals.

1 comment:

mumzy said...

Those birds are really beautiful. Good choice. Sounds like you had a great time shopping. I, too, have a bike and I went for a ride on it yesterday. We live two miles away from the main road - all woods until you reach to homes and cottages along our lake shore, so it is really safe driving my bike along this road. We occasionally see wildlife but this year, we have yet to see the bigger ones like bears, bobcats, deer or moose. Have a great day!