Saturday, June 13, 2009

The rest of the week

Wednesday, I took over the kids' ceramic class because the regular teacher was on vacation. We fill in for each other that way, so that we are free to travel. This was the first class of a new session and most of the kids were new to the program. There were 11 kids, but luckily none of them were very young and needed close supervision. However, even with a good bunch of kids, I find working with them exhausting. The biggest problem is keeping them occupied, as most of them want to hurry and finish and move on to another project, rather than do each project neatly and carefully. Some of this group are quite talented and one or two actually worked to perfect their pieces. I had two projects for them and still we had a lot of time left over. I managed to fill it by showing them how various pieces of equipment worked. The folks who run the center said that there were many more kids who wanted to take ceramics and would Thelma or I consider adding another class. I knew Thelma didn't want to do that and I declined because I will be away so much this summer. I don't get paid enough to teach the kids - no way!


Last evening, Patty and I walked a couple of miles. We haven't been walking much at all this summer on account of all the rain, so it was good to get out there. However, we are sadly out of shape. Hopefully, there will be more evenings we can walk, but next week the predictions are for at least three days with thunderstorms. So here we go again. I think my new song is going to be "rain, rain, go away".


Today I plan to get out the big ladder, set it up in the front yard, and try to lop off some of the top branches of my flowering plum tree. Patty will come out and help me, by telling me if the branch I'm starting to cut is the right one or not. When I'm on the ladder in the midst of the tree branches, I can't tell which ones I want gone. Also, if I fall, Patty can call the ambulance!! LOL
Have I mentioned that I hate ladders and am not good with heights? Times like this I really miss my 6-foot tall former husband.


Here's a photo of my front flower bed. The lilies really add color to the bed. It looks good this year, I think. Every year is different. This year I have been invaded by a low growing, mahogany colored plant (on the left front). We think it is a form of basil. It's very aggressive - spreading over much of the flower bed and into the lawn. I did not plant this. Three years ago, it appeared in the back yard. Last year it left the back and migrated to the front. Perhaps next year it will disappear altogether. I find gardening fascinating because of things like that. Last year I had morning glories growing on the trellis. They went to seed and this year I have little plants coming up in many places, but not close enough to reach the trellis. So, I have morning glories climbing the lilies instead. It's a bit odd, but they will be pretty, wherever they are.


1 comment:

Pat said...

I enjoy seeing photos of your garden! And I don't blame you for not wanting to spend your summer teaching ceramics to kids. LOL