Monday, July 20, 2009

Beginnings and endings

Last night, Kate was explaining Facebook to Geoff and me. She asked me if I wanted her to set up an account for me and in a weak moment, I said, 'yes'. So, now I have a page or whatever it's called on Facebook. Of course, I have no idea of what I'm doing or how the system works. I suppose I will find out as I go along. I do have a few friends already, most of them friends of Kate whom I also know. Only one friend is someone in my age category and she's very computer savvy. I have enough to do, just keeping up with my blog and the few I read. Don't know if I'll use Facebook much at all. We'll see.

I've really enjoyed using Kate's computer, mostly. It's very fast - the internet connection, as well as the computer itself. However, the keyboard isn't quite like US ones. A few things are in different places, which means I type some very weird words sometimes. By the time I get used to it, I'll be heading for home and will have to re-accustom myself to mine. We'll be taking the laptop on holiday with us, so that will be different yet.

Today Kate and I visited a few charity shops in Worcester Park. I didn't bring any jeans with me, so I've been looking for a cheap pair. No luck on jeans, all the ones I found have the waist down by the hips. I find those very uncomfortable and also unattractive. However, I got a pair of sweat pants and a very nice pair of navy blue trousers in a stretchy material. Also picked up a couple of long-sleeved tops. So I'll be ok, even if Scotland is chilly. I love poking around in chairity shops. You never know what treasures may be hiding there.

This afternoon, Kate and I were at school for the year-six farewell. The kids talked about what they liked about their years in Green Lane School and sang a couple of songs. Several of the girls were in tears by the time it was over. Tomorrow night is some kind of graduation ceremony. They will wear the uniforms for the schools they will be attending in the fall. I think there are parties on Wednesday - the last day for this school year. Hard to believe that Sarah will be in year 7 in the fall. She won't even be 12 until the end of September. Of course, she's been practicing to be a teenager for several years now. She's very excited about secondary school. I'm sure she'll love it and do fine. Her end of the year report was full of statements about how mature she is and how helpful. We don't always see those traits at home, for some reason. LOL

No comments: