Friday, July 10, 2009

more quilting

I visited my friend, Deb, for a couple of days this week. She has recently moved to southern Maryland, near the Bay. Her house has a porch in back - all the way across the house. It's a wonderful place to sit out and admire the trees. Deb had signed us up for a quilting class at the library where she takes ceramics. This class was to walk us through the process of making a quilted bag. The teacher had already cut the pieces, so we started of by choosing the two different fabric pieces we would use. During the class, we managed to get the sides pieced and bordered. I know that doesn't sound like much, but considering that Deb had never sewed and others of us were novice quilters, it was quite an accomplishment. I now have the pieces I need to finish the bag (lining, straps, batting). What I don't have is the directions! (She didn't make any.) They will finish the piece next week, but I won't be there. However, luckily, I have an expert quilter in the family and since I am going to visit Kate next week, I'll just take the unconstructed bag with me and get her advice. I think this project will turn out much better than the place mat that I made on my own (the one I will never show to anyone). It really helped to have a teacher on hand for advice. I have trouble visualizing how pieces fit together, even when looking at a diagram. For me, it works better if I can watch someone else doing it and then copy them. I was surprised to realize how much I understood about the process. (Comes of years of watching Kate, I guess.) Of course, I am still having a bit of trouble sewing straight seams. For some reason, curves are easier for me. Anyway, I will post of photo of the bag when it's finished.

I won't be blogging too often from Kate's, but will try to get in one or two entries. They have two computers, but there are already 3 kids and 2 adults trying to use them!

1 comment:

mumzy said...

I'm glad you tried the quilted bag and it is easier to do things like that when you have someone show you rather than read the instructions. I hate reading instructions but if all else fails, then I do. I'm not sure when you are going to Kate's but have a nice trip whenever it is.