Thursday, April 29, 2010

The continuing saga of an elderly car






As you can see from the photo, taken from my front steps, I have more iris coming into bloom. Last year, I dug up many iris and moved them and gave them away. As a result, I have no idea which ones I have left and where they are. The front flower bed is very crowded with iris and lilies and other perennials, so some of the iris are in the back. I hope I haven't lost any of my favorites, but will have to wait and see.




Yesterday, I took my car to the shop because I thought the coolant was leaking again. My mechanic couldn't find any evidence of that. He thinks I have been over-filling the system and when it heats up, the coolant is forced out the top of the overflow container. This is possible, but I still don't know why I found the container empty the other day. Anyway, he wants me to bring the car to them, if I think it needs more coolant and they will show me exactly how much should be in the overflow container. I'm sure he thinks I'm a real ditz now, but no one ever told me that when the engine is cold, the coolant should only reach the 'low' mark in the container!




So the news about the coolant is good, but it was still a costly trip because I have to take the car in for emission inspection soon and the 'check engine' light has been on for a long time. I told them to fix it yesterday so that I could pass the inspection. They had suggested that I not get it fixed until the inspection, and now I know why. It cost me $300, that's why!! A very expensive little part to keep my car from polluting the air. I feel as if I've now done my part for better air quality in Maryland!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Your flowers look nice! I'm glad they don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the car cooling system.