Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How my garden grows


The clematis is blooming in the back garden . I have two, but the blue/purple one isn't in bloom so far. They grow side by side and overlap, so I'm not sure where one ends and the other begins.
I did more clean-up out there over the weekend, and managed to pull a muscle in my back. I was just cutting up trimmings and putting them in plastic bags. You wouldn't think that would strain the back, but.....Anyway, I'm stuck at home today (car in the shop) and I can't even go out and do more yard work,because that would involve using my back muscles. Rats! I could clean my house, of course, but who wants to do that on a lovely cool, sunny day? Not me!
Last night, I went to a rehearsal for the MAD spring show. I had about decided not to participate in it this year. The new director didn't seem very competent; there were only 5 singers at the first rehearsal; and the music didn't have parts, only the melody line. However, that has changed with a different director and different music. Last night we had 14 people. We need more guys, but still it was a reasonable group. Rehearsal went well, I thought. The show is in June, so we have some time to learn the music.
I think I am going to get a dogwood tree to plant in the empty space in the back yard. I want a small tree, that will not produce heavy shade and a dogwood seems the best bet. I can't plant it until I amend the soil, however, as what is back there is horrible - clay and stones. I'm going to try to level it out some as well. Can't start any of that until my back is ok. Then I'll try not to pull any more muscles when I carry bags of compost and good soil to the back yard. There are times that I really wish I had an end unit townhouse, instead of a middle one.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry about the back muscle pull....take care so it has time to heal properly and completely.

mumzy said...

I am so sorry that you have hurt your back but do take the necessary time to take care of it properly. I know it is tempting to do more work, but take your time.

Have a great day!

Deb D said...

Maryland's own leafgro for soil conditioning is great. Take it easy on that back...