Tuesday, April 20, 2010

spring blooms







These are iris and columbine in the front yard.


Spring came early here in Maryland, due to the 90 degree weather we had for a few days.
Everything burst into bloom. Here are a few snaps of my early bloomers. The pale blue, almost white iris, is especially early. Ive also noticed that the azaleas around the neighborhood are in full bloom - several weeks ahead of schedule.

Today I have continued clearing out the back yard. I cut the forsythia down to the ground, knowing that it will come back before fall. I have many offspring from that one bush and wouldn't mind at all if it died, but I know it won't. Those bushes, once they are truly established are impossible to kill. Anyway, the back fence, most of which I haven't seen in many years, is now visible, which is too bad. It's a drab gray and needs to be covered up with vines or bushes. I haven't decided what to put back there. Probably a clematis on the trellis that is fastened to the remains of the evergreen. Then, perhaps another vine on the fence, or a tree or another bush. Lots of possibilities and not a whole lot of room. Shrubs and trees get big after a few years and I have to keep that in mind, or I will have another problem bush, like the forsythia! It's fun having possibilities and a new space to play with. I would never have cut that evergreen down, because the birds really liked it, but when mother nature ruined it, I was happy to have the excuse to get rid of it. Anyway, the back yard is a work in progress. I'll keep you posted.




You can see where the evergreen and the forsythia bush were. The dark red flower is a trillium that I brought down from my sister-in-law's garden in western New York.


A friend who understands computers dropped by yesterday. She played around with my computer and got rid of a few annoying things that kept popping up. I don't understand most of the messages that my computer sends me. "Such and such would like to add something or other to something I already have." It might as well be in Greek for all I can tell. I'm sure there will be more issues with Windows 7, but at least I understand a bit more about it. Thanks, Deb.


Last night I attended my first Council meeting at church. Years ago, I was on the Session at a previous church, so I had a rough idea of what this would involve. I think it won't be too time consuming, once I get a handle on what my committee is responsible for. The worst things will be calling people to serve Communion every month. I really hate phoning people whom I don't know very well and asking them to do something. But if that's the worst thing I have to do, I won't complain - at least not too much! LOL


I have an evening activity 4 nights this week. That is much busier than I want to be. I guess it's my age, but by dinner time, I am tired and don't want to get out and go anywhere. At least, two of the activities are things I enjoy - a pottery class on Wednesday and choir on Thursday. I'll still have to push myself to go, but I'll enjoy it once I'm there.










1 comment:

Deb D said...

We have dark blue irises across the street!