Thursday, April 15, 2010

A good week




Here are some photos of the dogwood trees blooming down by the stream. You can see that the trees are leafing out. Soon I won't be able to see the stream at all. Already, the houses on the other side are hidden by leaves. Spring has been accelerated this year, due to the very HOT weather we had last week. Lilacs are in bloom (none in my yard) and iris are budded. Dandelions are still blooming in my yard, but not nearly as many since I dug up a bunch. I sure wish I could be outside today, but it's my day to work in the hospital gift shop. I hate being inside when the weather is gorgeous.


Monday night the Worship Committee (I'm the new chairperson) met at church. The meeting went well and was short, which I love! Also, I found out that we only meet every other month, another good thing! Hopefully, this will continue NOT to be a burden. I swore when I retired that I would not go to any more meetings, but now I have Council once a month and the Worship Committee. I guess I'll survive! LOL



I am back doing something with ceramics three times a week now. Teaching on Monday afternoon and taking classes on Tuesday AM and Wednesday evening. Last night was the first class at Montpelier Arts Center. This is a class for advanced students. We just come in and do our own things. The instructor is available if we need help or encouragement, but he doesn't really teach, since we don't need that. I worked all evening on a mask of a lion - using a photo a friend took. I think my lion looks pretty much like the photo (it was of a lion statue). Time will tell whether it works out or not. There are any number of things that can go wrong in the process of making something from clay. First rule is: "Don't get attached to your piece until after the final firing." We will be doing a Raku firing on Saturday. I have several pieces from the last session that can be glazed and fired. I'm looking forward to that.



Yesterday, I expected to have oral surgery to clear up the infection beneath the tooth that had the root canal last month. When I got there, the dentist checked it and said that it looks like the infection is clearing up on its own, so no surgery at this point. I'll go back in May for another check on it. It would be nice not to have surgery. I can easily find more pleasurable uses for the $500 it would cost!


Anyway, this feels like a very positive week for me. Of course, it's partly the weather and the time of year. I always feel good in the spring. Something about all those flowers popping up and trees leafing out, I guess. Happy Spring!


2 comments:

Deb D said...

Nice pix - we don't have dogwood blooms down here yet - hmmmm...

mumzy said...

Hi Kathy: We are back from Florida. We came home on the weekend and did see a lot of trees in bloom. The dogwood trees were beautiful, so were the lilacs. It was a very lovely drive back. It sounds like you are having an early Spring. We came home to a lot of broken branches on our lawns so trying to clean those up. Have a nice weekend.