Monday, June 14, 2010

found: new lilies

I am a rather casual gardener.  I buy new plants every year.  Sometimes after planting them, I forget where they are.  For example:  Last year I bought a plant that lives in the woods and has bright yellow blooms in the spring.  I planted it in the shady area under the deck.  My friend, Patty, also bought one.  This spring, hers came up and bloomed.  I couldn't find any sign of mine.  I happened to see the same plant at a nursery, so bought another one, thinking the first one had died.  Last week, there was the first plant, blooming away.  It was much later than Patty's, but it's in deep shade, which probably makes the difference.  Now I have two of them!  Recently, I discovered several lilies that I didn't know I had.  Actually, that's only true of one of them - a white Easter lily that I must have bought at church and taken home last year.  It came up our front and makes a nice spot of white amid all the orange lilies.  The other surprise lily is blooming in a pot on the deck.  I didn't remember buying a yellow one, but there it is.  Looks great with all the orange and dark red ones.  I really love garden surprises like that.

Yesterday it was so hot it broke records.  94 degrees F.  Yikes!  This is still June, last time I looked, but we are getting July/August weather.  Enough already!  I wouldn't mind the current heat, if it was going to be cool in August.  Fat chance of that! 

1 comment:

mumzy said...

Beautiful lilies. Your green thumb is still working great.