Sunday, June 6, 2010

yard art - 1


Yesterday, I borrowed a small reciprocating saw from my neighbor.  I used it to try to cut down the two remaining branches of the dead evergreen.  No luck.  I now understand why "heart wood" is so desirable.  You can't cut through the darn stuff!  So, I have now decided to leave the branches in the flower bed and turn them into 'art'.  It's a spot of color (many colors) in the back yard.  We aren't allowed to paint our fences any colors except natural ones, but the rules don't cover trees.  (see above)

Yesterday, despite the 90 degree heat, I spent most of the day gardening.  I moved a plant in the front yard and hung another bird house.  Finally I have found the rest of the birdhouses and the totem pole thingies that go over the stakes out front.  They are now decorating the front yard.

Mostly I worked on the deck and in the back garden.  All the plants that I have purchased this spring are now either in pots or in the ground!!  It was hot, hard, dirty work, but I persevered, with only a few A/C breaks in the house.  I also rearranged the pots on the deck - all 38 of them (or 40 if I count the indoor pots that went out for the summer.)  I did try - really I did - to have fewer plants in pots this year, but as you can see, that attempt FAILED!  I just hope we continue to have rain every week.  Otherwise, I will have a lot of watering to do all summer.  The good part of all the work I did yesterday, is that now I can sit outside and admire my efforts.  Well, I could sit outside, if it were a bit cooler.  Under the deck is quite cool, but still when the temperature is in the 90s, cool just isn't a term one applies.

4 comments:

mumzy said...

Great garden art. We have had too much rain and it is still raining. If you want rain, we will send you some.

Pat said...

Love what you did with the tree trunks!!! Your hydrangea looks great, too.

lifeshighway said...

I love the stripey yard art. Creative yard artists are my favorite!

Deb D said...

stumps - they look like socks up in the air!