Sunday, June 20, 2010

productive day

Yesterday, I spend most of the afternoon at the Montpelier Arts Center, participating in a Raku firing.  It's a time-consuming process, as the Raku kiln is small, so only a few pieces can be fired at one time.  It was hotter than Hades outside, so we spent as much time as possible inside where there is A/C.  I managed to get four of my masks fired, but had to leave two pieces for another time. 

I felt much better yesterday and so went to sing with the MAD chorus in our spring show.  However, I guess I did too much, as this AM, I an exhausted and have a scratchy voice and a sore throat.  I really thought I was getting over this blankety-blank cold!  I guess I'll just have to stay home today and rest.  How boring!

Here are some photos of the masks that were fired.  I especially like the green/yellow 'bat'.  I think the color makes it look less scary!  Before it was fired, a guy walked past in the studio and said, "That's really scary.  I wouldn't want to visit your house!"  Not that I had invited him, anyway!  LOL  I do have a  lot of masks on the walls, but I no longer find them scary.  Strangers using the powder room might get a surprise, however. 

I should have turned these photos before I uploaded them.  Sorry about that.

1 comment:

mumzy said...

The masks are very interesting. Do you make up your own patterns or do you paint preformed ones?