Sunday, July 4, 2010

A lovely wedding

Yesterday afternoon, I attended the wedding of the daughter of two of my dear friends.  The bride's mother, my friend Linda, died last summer, so there were some tears barely held back among those who had known her for years, but all in all it was a glorious celebration.  The wedding was held at Londontown Gardens, located on the water, outside Annapolis.  It was a beautiful setting for an outdoor wedding.  The guests faced the water, so we saw boats sail by as we waited for the ceremony to take place.  The day was sunny and hot, but not humid, and we had a bit of a breeze, making being outside quite bearable.  Music was provided by a guitarist and was exactly right - soft and gentle, like the bride.  After the ceremony, before dinner, everybody wandered around catching up with old friends while sipping drinks and eating munchies.  After dinner, there was dancing, of course.  It's interesting that most of the music was from years ago (my kind of music) rather than contemporary tunes.  I guess the oldies really are goodies.  I loved watching the bride dance with her father.  She was so happy and he was having a great time as well.  It was one of the nicest weddings I have attended. 

An interesting thing about this couple is that the groom's family is from Thailand, although his parents live in the US.  The couple and their parents are traveling to Thailand in a few weeks for a second ceremony, so that his relatives can attend.  We truly live in a small world, don't we?

Driving home from the wedding, we saw distant fireworks from the celebration here in Laurel.  I've never been to the ones here.  Sometimes I go to Greenbelt (near where I used to live), but not this year.   Instead of sitting somewhere outside, battling the heat and mosquitoes, I plan to stay home tonight and just relax.  Hope everyone has a glorious 4th, however you plan to spend it.

1 comment:

Pat said...

The wedding sounds lovely!