Monday, July 5, 2010

planting


Today, I went out early to dig a hole and plant the crape myrtle bush, the hollyhock plant and something called a sea thistle.  It was hot even at 7:30, and only got hotter.  I had to move a few other plants in order to fit everything into the space.  I think it looks good and will look even better next year.  The crape myrtle is already in full bloom and will be finished in a week, probably.  It really is a lovely color and will only get to be about 10 feet tall, which is exactly the size I want.  I just hope it survives our very hot summer and that we don't get another cold, snowy winter.  Our location is the coldest area where this plant will survive.

While I was outside, I also rearranged some of my 'yard art'.  This consists mostly of old rusty tools and other mostly metal junk that I have picked up at antique stores and yard sales over the last couple of years.  I have these things hanging on the fence and also from the stairs and beams under the deck.  Some members of my family (my brother Tom, for one) think I am crazy, but I like having lots of stuff, even when it is someone else's discards.

It was really very hot outside this AM.  I may run some errands this PM, but I will NOT be working outside again today.  We are supposed to get 100 highs the next 4 days.  This is by far the hottest summer I can remember.  We need rain, too.  I'll be watering every day for a while, especially with new plants.  Since I cannot work outside any more today, perhaps I'll clean house.  Or perhaps not.  I am running out of excuses for postponing that.  Oh, wait, I know another reason NOT to clean yet.  I have to buy more mulch and will be carrying it through the house.  No doubt I will track in dirt doing that, so no cleaning until after the mulch is in the back yard.  Aren't I good at finding excuses?  LOL

2 comments:

Pat said...

I love the look of all your yard art!

Deb D said...

Backyard looks great!