Sunday, July 11, 2010

Slow, hot week

Nothing exciting happened in my world this past week.  I'm just as glad, as it was way too HOT to expend energy on anything outside, no matter how exciting.  I did buy more mulch and yesterday, when it was cooler and almost raining most of the day, I got those bags out of the car, through the house and spread where needed.  I seem to have managed that without wrecking my back this time.  Thank goodness!  Of course, I didn't buy enough, so I need another bag or two of the kind that comes in big pieces.  I use it in the backyard under the deck, to cover the muddy bare ground.  The only problem is that the yard slopes a bit and every time it rains hard (not very often this summer), the mulch washes down toward the fence.  I keep raking it back into place, but on a wet summer, mother nature wins.

And, finally, I did some house cleaning.  I cleaned the ground floor - kitchen, dining, living and powder rooms.  Even waxed the kitchen and powder room floors!  Now, when I walk on the kitchen floor with rubber-soled shoes, my feet stick to the floor and squeak as I walk!  Weird, isn't it?  The floor looks lovely and shiny, but I know that won't last long.  Already, I have tracked in bits of stuff from outside.  It's a losing battle.  Upstairs is next.  I've already dusted up there, but haven't yet dragged the vacuum up to do the carpets.  The basement cleaning I'll save for a hot day, as it's lovely and cool down there. 

Yesterday, I finally put up a curtain rod in the basement so that I can hang curtains, temporarily across the sliding glass doors.  I thought perhaps Christine and Steve, or whoever sleeps in that room, would appreciate some privacy.  I thought this would be an easy task.  The last time he was here, Andy had checked the wall and said I'd have no trouble using wall anchors to put the rod up.  I guess I didn't have him check the right places, as when I drilled, the drill only went in a little ways and then just stopped.  I have no idea what I hit, but I couldn't seem to get through it.  I tried just using the screws, without wall anchors, but I could not get them to go far enough in, either.  I didn't have any shorter screws that would work, so finally in desperation, I found some nuts and slid them onto the screws, this making the screws shorter.  That worked!  Screws went in, but not too far, and held.  Voila!  Curtain rod is up!  Since this is temporary, I'll just use a sheets for the curtains, clipped onto the rod. 

Today is going to be hot, I think.  It's already heating up, and it's only 8:30 AM.  Luckily, most of my outdoor projects are finished.  I guess it's a good day to clean the basement.  Housework is such fascinating and satisfying work - NOT!!

Here are a few more photos of the front flowers.  My hibiscus is finally blooming!  My neighbor's bloomed weeks ago, so I've been eagerly awaiting mine.  I love that rosy red color.  The morning glories are finally climbing up to the trellis.  Mostly they climb on the lilies, which is okay, too. 

2 comments:

Pat said...

I love your flowers and I, too, hate housework!!!

Deb D said...

Ingenious solution on the screws! Exciting that the visit is coming and you will enjoy your family.