Monday, September 7, 2009

in memorium

My friend Linda died early this morning. She has been unable to tolerate the chemo necessary to reduce the cancer, and last week she stopped all chemo and started Hospice care. She was having great difficulty breathing, even with extra oxygen. I guess it's a good thing that she went quickly, although it's hard to see anything good about her illness and death.

Linda was a quiet person and it took me many years to get to know her. She was very active - played tennis and did aerobics. She volunteered as a docent (I forget where). She and Rob went on vacation to many wild and unusual places and always came back with souvenirs and stories to share. Linda and Rob were part of the Friday lunch group, although they haven't been at lunch with us since she was diagnosed with cancer. I did visit them a couple of times this summer. It seems hard to realize that she will never come to lunch again; never have a story about an exciting trip; never tell us how Rob defended her from a pickpocket, or what weird food they ate in some exotic land.

I never heard her complain about how unfair it is that she should be dying; never saw her cry about fate (although surely she did). Linda died quietly and bravely. We should all do that well when our time comes. Goodbye, Linda, you are missed.

2 comments:

Pat said...

What kind words that pay a nice tribute to Linda. She sounds like she was a very special person. I'm sorry for the loss her family and friends must feel today....even though they know her suffering and pain has ended.

quiltingnana said...

IT is hard to lose a friend...I did too this summer...I try to think of the good times we had