Wednesday, October 14, 2009

exercise day?

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that I really wanted to get outside. Luckily, I had a good opportunity to do just that. The ceramics class I attend in Columbia gets over at noon. I then have 2 hours before my yoga class, also held in Columbia. If I am organized enough, I can take a change of clothes and lunch with me in the AM. Yesterday, I actually managed to do this. After class, I went to my favorite place to walk - Lake Elkhorn. I walked around the lake and then ate lunch on the grass near the lake. All I saw in the way of wildlife were ducks and geese and turtles. I did see a heron in flight, but never saw him in the water. Still it was lovely walking along the lake and admiring the flower on balconies and in yards along the shore. If I had the money, I would buy a townhouse with a lake view. Some of them have two balconies from which they must have wonderful views all year round. My view out back is nice, but not as nice as a lake would be.

After lunch, I went to the East Columbia library/senior center where my yoga class is held. I was a bit early, so I browsed the library. It's huge and has a much larger selection of books than my little local branch. I think, also, a rather different selection of books. The 'new' book display had no popular romance or crime fiction authors. I did not recognize most of the authors. I think because the library is in Columbia (considered an upper class community), they order somewhat more literary books. It's not as if they don't have mysteries and romances, but they seem to have a larger selection of more serious fiction. I have rather plebeian tastes when it comes to the books I read for entertainment, however, I did find three books to borrow. When I got home, I discovered that I owned one of them. Can't remember reading it, but it's on my shelves. I may reread the library copy, just because the print is larger. Most of the books I buy are paperbacks and the older I get, the harder it is to read them.

Yoga class went better than last week. My biggest problem seems to be balance. A number of exercises involve standing with all one's weight on one leg. I can't do that for very long. Very quickly I have to put the other foot down or fall down. Hopefully, I will get better as I practice. I used to be very good at that. Just another one of the 'delights' of aging! LOL.

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Isn't the pits when one gets older. Sounds like you had a lovely place to have your lunch.

Pat said...

Sounds like a pleasant day for you yesterday. I, too, am now preferring books with larger print. Even though I wear glasses, I still like the larger print better!