Wednesday, October 21, 2009

exercise day(2)

Every Tuesday will probably be noted as an exercise day, until the weather turns too cold to walk outside. I have just enough time between my ceramics class and the yoga class to walk around Lake Elkhorn and then eat my lunch. Yesterday was a gorgeous day - warm and sunny, but not hot. The turtles certainly liked it. I counted 30 turtles sunning themselves on small logs in the lake. There were probably many more, but the path around the lake isn't always close to the shore. More than half the time, the path goes through woods and although one can see the lake, it's too far away to spot turtles. Anyway, with the walk and then yoga, I was feeling virtuous and tired by the time I got home.

Today, I've been painting the powder room. I ended up getting the bright yellow retinted into a green - also bright, but better than the yellow. I have a lot of green in my living room, so it will fit right in. I had decided to paint over the wallpaper (a mistake) and had about half of the first coat on when I gave up. The wallpaper wasn't peeling off, but there were all these bubbles and loose places. At first I tried cutting them open, applying Elmer's glue , and then sticking the paper back together. However, the more I painted, the more spots showed up. Soon there were just too many bumpy places. When I started peeling the paper off, I realized I should have done that to start. It was very easy. Where I had painted, the paper came right off. Other places needed a bit of water, but there were no real problems. Of course, I had wasted at least an hour, painting, but I still got the first coat on by 3:30. Unfortunately, I won't get the second coat on tonight. Paint cans used to have information as to how long to wait before the second coat, but this can does not. I have to assume that it would not be dry enough to paint tonight. I am planning to get up a bit early tomorrow and paint before I go to work in the gift shop. I have to be there at ten, so in theory, I have enough time to do the second coat. It should only take 90 minutes. (I will not even try to do the woodwork. Haven't decided yet if I want to paint it the same color as the walls or a contrasting color). I'm not usually that organized in the early morning, but perhaps I will be tomorrow. A friend is coming in tomorrow evening, so I would like to get the painting done and the shelf unit put back before she comes. Right now, my living room is littered with various baskets that normally stay in the powder room. My friend won't care if my house is messy, but I will!

I put up the rest of my Halloween decorations this afternoon. I have a couple string of lights that drape around the little evergreen tree out front. Also a jack'o' lantern with a light in the window. I have a Halloween flag that needs to go up as well. I'll do that just as soon as I finish typing this blog. Patty's house is the one that everyone looks at. This year, she has a collection of spiders and flies stuck up on her door and wall. Very icky! She also has various signs (''The Witch Is In")and a nasty looking green ghost. Our neighborhood really gets into Halloween. It's fun, especially for those of us who don't have resident kids. If the weather is nice on Halloween evening, we will sit out front and admire the costumes while sipping some appropriate beverage. I'll take some photos one of these evenings.

2 comments:

Deb D said...

You are right - I don't care about the paint cans but can understand you would. See you around 5.

Pat said...

We'll need photos of your newly-painted room when you are done, of course!