Monday, October 5, 2009

reunion







My 50 year reunion was a great success! I chatted with many classmates and spent time with long-time friends. The drive up, through the mountains of PA, was beautiful. On Bloss Mountain, the trees were showing lovely reds, yellows and orange colors, as well green. I didn't get any photos of that because it is hard to stop and take photos when one is speeding along at 70 mph! You'll just have to take my word for the beauty of hillsides covered with trees in their fall colors. It was strange to get back to Maryland, where almost all our trees are still green.

As I always do when traveling up and down route 15, I stopped at several antique stores and flea markets, both enroute and in Hammondsport, NY. The prices are sooo much cheaper up there than around here. I came home with a lot of bargains, both to use as yard art and to hang on my kitchen walls. Pictures show another bunch of tiny animals, sitting in the silverware box which will hang on the wall as a shelf; some kitchen utensils to add to my wall (it's getting rather full now); and a couple of items to go up on the beam that divides the dining room from the living room. I'll be spending some time today rearranging the wall items to make room for the new ones. (I really need to STOP BUYING, but probably that isn't going to happen any time soon!)

At the reunion dinner, we had a silent auction. Everyone was asked to bring something they made or something from their part of the country. I made up a basket with local products - crab meat; bottles of ale made in Baltimore; a recipe for crab dip, and a ceramic bowl (one I made) to serve the dip in. I won a couple of items from the auction, including a print of a lovely fall painting, by a friend on mine. It's hanging on my seasonal display wall now.

I also enjoyed visiting with my brothers and sisters-in-law. We managed not to argue about politics, although there was some discussion about health care reform. It was a good visit, but it's good to be home!

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Yes, the leaves are really beautiful with the different colours showing through. Across the lake I live on, it seems to be getting more beautiful every day. However, they will be falling pretty soon and then they will be gone for another year.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time at your reunion. I just reunited with a friend I had in elementary school. It was fun.

Pat said...

I'm glad to hear your reunion trip was such an all-around success!!!