Tuesday, September 7, 2010

clearing out

We are having a community yard sale in a couple of weeks, so I've been gathering stuff that I will try to sell.  I started this process while Kate was here.  We sorted through my pottery; she set aside some she wants and we filled a box with stuff to be sold.  We also went through 2 boxes of fabric that I have accumulated over many years.  She made two shopping bags out of some very retro orange stripped fabric.  Since she left, I've been slowly sorting through kitchen cupboards and bedroom closets to find more items not seen in years.  I've sorted out some vases, put plastic flowers in them and added them to sale items.

Yesterday, I actually cleared out a small narrow space behind a wall in the basement.  I knew I had cardboard boxes in the space, but had forgotten what else was in there.  I found:  one playpen, 2 foam mattresses for the playpen; 3 kitchen stools,1 old tea table with glass tray top; 2 child car seats; 3 garbage bags with artificial flowers, 1 old raggedy blanket, 2 dozen empty boxes, 1 baby stroller, and a DEAD MOUSE!  Don't think I will be able to sell the mouse.  LOL

There are some other things too, that I've been meaning to get rid of for ages:  unused IKEA coffee table,  student desk chair, 2 folding yard chairs.  I may find more in the next two weeks.  Clearing out is such a liberating feeling.  And it makes me feel virtuous.  Of course, there are hundreds of books, many of which should be sold or donated, if I could only remember whether I like them well enough to keep or not!  I'll always have too many books, I'm afraid.  However, I did resist going to a huge book sale over the weekend.  I should get points for that, right?   I really don't have room for any more books, but I know that sooner or later I will buy more.  At least now I seem to be getting rid of as many as I am buying.

Below are photos of two walls in my 'library'.  There are a couple more shelves not shown in the photos.  Yes, I know, I have an addiction to books.

2 comments:

quiltingnana said...

sounds like you have some treasures there

mumzy said...

Hope you have help with the lugging of all those things you are putting in the sale. Sounds like you have enough items that you could have a sale by yourself.