Monday, September 20, 2010

fall blooms

Some of the mums I bought recently are in full bloom now.  Luckily, I have some that are just coming out, so I will enjoy them for some time to come.  These three are on my deck.  The other photo is just a view of the 'new' flower bed I set up in the summer.  The colors are a bit washed out in the photo.  Lots of pink down there.  I also have some golden rod in bloom.  The plants are some I actually dug up and transplanted from a roadside patch.  They grow very tall and reach for the sun, which in my back yard makes them practically lying on the ground.  Can't get a decent photo of them.

I love this time of year in the garden because there isn't much work to be done.  I can just enjoy the results of my spring and summer labor.  Soon, I will have to pull up annuals and detach the morning glory vines from the many places they are attached to.  Those vines grow like weeds and get on everything!  Still, they are so lovely in the AM, so every year I let them self-seed.  Some even grew in the lawn, but they got mowed down.

Yesterday I pretty much spent the day at church.  We had a congregational meeting after church.  We served lunch - just cold cuts and rolls, but still Donna and I had to get it set up and cleaned up after.  I got home about 2 PM and had to go back at 3:30 because the Interfaith Library, where I volunteer, was sponsoring a lecture.  I had agreed to take the money for the speaker's books on sale after the lecture.  It wasn't a hard job, but I didn't get home until 6 and then had to shop for groceries.  It was a long day and after dinner, I just crashed.  Went to bed before 10 - and of course, woke up at 6!  It's a good think that I like mornings, since I seem to start mine early. 

1 comment:

Pat said...

Your flowers are looking very nice. I am more of a morning person, too.