Sunday, December 26, 2010

after Christmas blahs

I really hate the week after Christmas, especially when I am at home rather than visiting Kate and family in England. So far the seasonal blues haven't set in, but I expect them anytime now.  We may have a snow storm today or tonight.  That would be a lovely distraction, as long as it isn't so bad that it closes roads and really messes up driving anywhere.  I love to sit inside and admire snow falling, as long as I don't have to go anywhere.  Andy (my ex) called last night.  They have snow down there in Hampton, VA.  That's surprising, as when I lived in that area, we almost never got snow, certainly not in December.  But then, that's true here in Maryland too.  December snows have been rare.  Funny how 'global warming' seems to be producing colder, snowier winters! 

Last night I went out to dinner with my friend, Lynne.  We ate at Friday's because it was open, whereas most places are closed on Christmas.  We even saved room for dessert.  I had cheesecake, one of my favorites.  It was nice to eat American food on Christmas for a change.  Usually we end up at Chinese or Indian restaurants because they are among the few open.  I splurged on steak and salmon and now have leftover steak to eat today.  I brought the french fries home too, but am not convinced that they will be fit to eat when reheated.  No great loss either way.

This ornament is my Christmas present from Lynne.  The design is created using reverse glass painting, done through a small hole in one end of the decoration.  I can't imagine how anyone could paint so beautifully using that technique.  Of course, I'm not a painter - far from it!  My hands work very well with clay, but put a paintbrush in them and the results are pretty bad! 

1 comment:

mumzy said...

We are getting a big snow storm here today but some areas in the east of Canada are getting storm surges with high tides which caused and is still causing a lot of flooding. The weather seems to be changing all over the world.

I love your ornament!