Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas is coming

Yesterday, our choir sang a Christmas Cantata during the church service.  It replaced the sermon, which I think is a nice change.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the sermons, but I LOVE music and singing.  We'll be singing again Friday night at the Christmas Eve Service, but not providing the sermon.

After church, a friend invited me to have lunch with her at Vantage House, the continuous care building where she now lives.  The apartments there are really nice and amazingly large.  She has a grand piano in her living room!  Kitchens are very small, but since meals are provided, who needs a kitchen? The place has several lounging areas and a nice collection of books in their library on the first floor and outside the dining room as well.  The dining room has small tables and very comfortable chairs, and a waitress took our orders and brought our food.  The menu started with soup and salad and included dessert. It was interesting that the portions were small.  That suited me just fine, but I wonder if some of the men who live there would want more to eat.  The men I know would certainly have wanted larger servings.  I doubt if I'll ever move to a continuous care community, but in some ways it would be wonderful - no cooking, lots of books, no home repairs, transportation to local mall, etc. However, I have a LOT of stuff and don't think I could ever part with most of it.

I'm wishing I had gone to England this year for Christmas.  They got more snow a day or so ago, and are probably going to get more this week.  Amazing!  Southern England never gets this kind of weather in December.  I know my grandkids are delighted, especially the youngest one.  Kate is not as thrilled, I imagine, but I think she has done all the pre-Christmas errands and can just stay home and enjoy the thrill of a white Christmas.  I don't think we'll get one here this year, although there is a chance of snow on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

mumzy said...

I was wondering the other day if you had gone to England. Because of the weather there, you are better off staying home. The weather is strange everywhere this year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.