Saturday, December 4, 2010

more Christmas decorations

 I showed my Christmas tree on Facebook, but forgot to put it up here.  You can see how skinny it is.  It's really loaded with decorations because the previous tree was much fatter.  I like this one, but it is a bit unstable.  I put it in a corner because I was afraid I'd bump it and knock it over if it was located out in the open.  I think next year I will secure the stand to a board to prevent tipping and allow me to put the tree where I can decorate all sides of it.  That way, I won't have to crowd the ornaments on the branches or (horrors!) get rid of some ornaments!

The other photo shows some old time Christmas postcards that I found in an antique store a couple of years ago.  I think they are charming and sentimental. The photo isn't very good - there is a reflection from the sun shining in the window above the door. 

I was supposed to be in southern Maryland this weekend, but I'm just too tired to travel.  My cold, which has mostly gone away, has left me exhausted.  My friend Deb and I were going to sell pottery at a craft show down there.  I was really looking forward to that, but just couldn't find the energy to go.  Yesterday, I stayed home,  napped in my recliner and read some 'not at all demanding' fiction.  Today, I plan to get the Xmas letter done and reproduced and buy Xmas cards, if I need more.  I always have leftovers from previous years.  I'd like to get the cards out next week. 

At least I don't have to buy many Xmas presents.  With the grandchildren overseas, it's not practical to send presents.  I'll take them shopping when I go over in February. It's too hard to know what to get them now that they are growing up, so money for shopping is best.  I've got presents for Kate and Geoff, which I will take with me.  That leaves just Steve and Christine to buy for.  I'll shop for them next week.  I used to love Christmas shopping, with the stores all decorated and carols playing.  I'm not sure I enjoy it anymore.  Maybe I'm getting too old!  Hopefully, when I actually go shopping I will get into the Christmas spirit.  It won't be long now - just three weeks!

3 comments:

Visits With Mary said...

Hello Grandma Kathy, I enjoy you blog, really liked the old postcards you have framed. What a great idea. Mary
visitswithmary.blogspot.com

Pat said...

I think your tree is very pretty!

Deb D said...

You did not miss a great show. I sold 1 bowl and most sales went to cute puppets for kids, quilts, dips, cookies...A lot of lugging boxes around - good exercise I suppose. But I did miss you and worry a bit that your cold is still going strong (of course, that happens as we get older - takes longer to recover) but still.