Wednesday, March 9, 2011

adventures by bus

It really wasn't too bad, yesterday, using the local bus system.  It was cold waiting for the bus and I'm always nervous about missing it, so I go out about 10 minutes before the bus is due.  Since it seems to be often late, that means I may wait up to  20 minutes on the corner.  That's not fun, this time of year!  Anyway, I was able to get to Columbia Mall, but the bus I wanted wasn't there.  Rather than wait, I decided to try another line and walk from one of the stops.  This worked fine and I got some exercise.  I arrived at the senior center in plenty of time for my class.  Getting back after class took a bit longer.  The bus stops at the senior center twice along the route.  I caught the first one, which then went all around Robin Hood's Barn  (old expression from childhood) before it finally reached the mall.  No problem getting the bus to return to my neighborhood.

However, later in the afternoon, I had to use the local bus to get from my house to the garage to pick up the car.  The place closes at 6 PM, but I figured catching the 5:20 bus from my corner would get me there in plenty of time. It's only about 15 minutes away by bus, but too far to walk.   All would have been fine if the bus had not been 20 minutes late!!  I was very cold by the time I got on that bus.  Furthermore, when I reached the garage, my car was sitting in the lot, but the garage had a closed sign on the door.  I did not have my spare keys with me, either.  I banged on the door and window and, thank goodness, the owner was still there.  He said he knew I was coming for the car and stayed a bit late for me.  So, the brakes are in good shape now, but my bank account is not feeling so good.  And, there are more repairs necessary.  I'll get those done in a week or two, I guess.  They aren't urgent. 

What I've learned:  the bus system works fine, if you have plenty of time.  Not so good if you have a deadline to meet.  Next time, I'll allow an extra hour and just carry a book to read when I arrive way early.

2 comments:

mumzy said...

I haven't used the bus service for a long time - I'd say at least 5 or 6 years. It was fun though. As we live in the country, there is no bus service available here.

Kate North said...

Yeah, I can imagine it's a lot harder where you are - but even here, where there are lots of buses, you always have to plan on it taking twice as long as it would by car...