Friday, March 4, 2011

next-to-last day in England

Tomorrow I will be flying home to Maryland.  This has been a good visit, except for my catching a cold a few days ago.  Actually, I think I caught the cold from airplane travel, but it only developed this week.  I still managed to get in some sight-seeing and shopping.  As you know, if you read this blog, I love poking around in thrift stores (called charity shops over here).  Worcester Park (pronounced woster park) has a wonderful selection of charity shops.  I've also visited those in New Malden and Wimbledon.  I've picked up a few books, some jewelry, a couple of silly ceramic animals and those sweaters I mentioned in a previous blog.

Yesterday I found a wonderful book called 'A Good Old Laugh'.  Here's what Dave Barry says about one of the problems of growing old:. 'I've gained a few pounds around the middle. The only lower-body garments I own that still fit me comfortably are towels.'  I don't think I'm quite that bad with flab around the middle.  I'm hoping that all the walking I've done over here will have kept me from gaining any weight, despite having eaten more food and drunk more wine that I would have done during three weeks at home.

My grandchildren are becoming so grown-up!  Sarah is taller than I and looks very mature.  Olivia will catch up to her in height within the next year, I think.  Alex seems much older than he did last summer when they visited me.  This morning, both Alex and Olivia got out books of poetry and were sharing their favorite poems with me.  Alex's choice was the William Wordsworth poem about daffodils.  It seemed an unusual choice for an 8 year old boy.  I cannot remember being interested in poetry when I was 8, except for A. A. Milne.

Here's another quote from the book - this one appropriate because I've turned 70 today. 'Birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake'. (Jo Brand)  Taking this advice,  I'm going out soon with Kate's friend Lana (my friend too) and having tea and cake.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Have a safe flight home and I hope your cold isn't bothersome while in the air. I had to laugh at the Dave Barry quote because, unlike him, not even towels "fit" me any longer!!!

mumzy said...

Happy Birthday and enjoy that cake.

Have a safe trip home and hope with your cold, the plane trip will not be too painful.