Thursday, February 19, 2009

Doing things with kids

Yesterday we all (except my dear son-in-law who was at work) went to the Museum of London in - London, of course. A friend on Kate's and her daughter (people I also know) went with us. This being a school holiday week, the museum was teeming with kids. The noise level was astonishing! Luckily for me, I had been there twice before, so I could just browse through, reading information when I was especially interested and skipping the parts I didn't care about. The only photos I took were of interesting pieces of old pottery, but I won't show them because I realize that not everyone has my fixation on pottery! We ate a picnic lunch at the museum (inside, as it was nippy outside) and came home for tea. Bought fish and chips from the local fish shop for dinner. I love fish and chips and always have to have it once when I'm in England.

This morning, Kate and I and the kids went to a place in Guilford that was a combination of an ice skating rink and a huge area devoted to water fun. There were three big water slides, a wave pool, two regular swimming pools, a diving pool, several areas with shallow water and fountains and suchlike for little kids and two hot tubs with spouts of bubbles. After sitting in those hot tubs and standing under some other water spouts, I felt almost as good as if I'd had a massage! I even went down one of the water slides - on a huge yellow tube. This is a real first for me, as I am not comfortable with heights and NEVER go down water slides. It was fun, actually, although I did not go for a second time.

Now we are at home. Kate is sewing, the kids are watching Igor on a DVD and I'm on the computer. I guess I'll go read the Washington Post online now. I like to stay in touch, more or less, with news from the US. And I enjoy the comics and the crossword puzzle!

2 comments:

Pat said...

OOOO..the water place sounds like such fun. Glad you are having such a nice time!

mumzy said...

Kathy, I do believe you are having a great time at your daughter's. It sounds like fun. Keep having fun and enjoy those grandkids.