Tuesday, February 3, 2009

snowing again

Today we have a dusting of snow with more falling. Still, we aren't supposed to get much - maybe a couple of inches. And, the temperature is above freezing, so the snow has been melting on the sidewalks and streets. Just very pretty, especially if one is sitting inside in a warm house, watching the flakes come down! Kate, in London, has been enjoying a bit more snow than we have here. London got 4 inches and schools have been closed for two days. Both she and the kids have been enjoying the unexpected holiday. Check out her blogs for snow photos katelnorth@blogspot.com and all the sewing http://katesquilting.blogspot.com/ she has gotten done.

I can't say I have been particularly productive, although I too did some sewing the other day. Yes, I actually managed to thread my sewing machine and produced two pillow covers - the kind that can be easily slipped on and off. I like to change the throw pillows in the living room often, so have an assortment of removable covers. (Storing covers takes up much less space than storing pillows!) The best part of this recent sewing is that I discovered why I was having so much trouble threading the machine. It was a really stupid thing, but then I'm a bit stupid when it comes to my new sewing machine. Now, if I could just get the threader to work! Luckily, I can see well enough to actually thread my machine by hand. Perhaps I'll even do some more sewing soon. I have been planning to finish making cushions for the dining room chairs (one is done) for about 3 years. I bought the material ages ago and made one cushion and then just never did the others. (Of course, most of the time, I'm the only person sitting on the chairs and I only need one cushion, so.......)

Speaking of accomplishments, yesterday I took a number of ceramic creations to the studio to be fired. Eventually, I will post photos of them here and on flickr, but probably not real soon. If I pick them up before the weekend, I'll have time to take photos and upload them, otherwise it will have to wait until I return from England in March. (You will notice I did not offer photos of my sewing. If I ever do anything that could be considered quilting or other creative fabric use, then I'll show it. But, don't hold your breath! LOL)

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Kathy: Yes, Kate has been having a lot of snow, more than England is used to. It even made the National news here in Canada and they showed pictures. It did not look like that much to us but they don't have the equipment to remove the snow like we do. Still we have enough here now and they can keep theirs.

New sewing machines can be a pain at times until you get used to them. My Mom was a seamstress and so, I didn't sew a lot growing up. However, I do enjoy sewing on quilts. I hate alterations.

Have a great day!

Kate North said...

my blog address is katelnorth.blogspot.com (no at sign, just a dot).

We joke about your trips to the UK being held up by snow - it's not usually likely to be my end of things! (Though I think it's stopped for the time being)