Monday, February 16, 2009

Out and about

I went into London as planned to the V&A museum. Unfortunately, they STILL don't have the pottery exhibit open. The people at the info desk said it's been closed about 10 years, but would reopen in Sept. 09. I guess I'll have to wait a while before I see that wonderful exhibit - darn! However, I still enjoyed the museum. I saw all the beautiful glass - I especially like the modern things. There was a special exhibit of coronation clothing from several of the Russian Tsars. Amazing what decorated clothing those men wore! Even their guardsmen and servants wore beautiful things for the coronations. The V&A also has clothing of several centuries on exhibit. Lots of lovely dresses, but the underwear women wore looks pretty uncomfortable. I'll stick to modern casual clothes, thank you!

I also looked at sculpture, of which they have a great deal. The corridor with sculpture is one that leads to many other areas of the museum. I had lots of opportunity to look at the pieces, as I must have walked thru that hall 4 or 5 times. Finally I went through the jewelry exhibit. Again, I prefer the modern pieces, but it's all very impressive. Unfortunately, I have no photos that I can put up now because I forgot the bring the cord that connects my camera to a computer. Kate's cord is different, so I can't use it. When I get home, I'll try to remember to put up some of the highlights of the trip, or perhaps I'll just put them into my flickr pages and direct folks to look there. For the time being, you'll just have to use your imagination.

This week we will be going to another museum in London - the Museum of London. I've been there before. It has a great section on the fire of London and lots of other history connected to the city. I don't know what else we are doing this week (the kids are off school), except a shopping trip to buy them Christmas presents from me. This afternoon, the kids have dental checkups and I will be poking around in the charity shops in Wimbledon. Should be fun for me.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for the update...always happy to hear about your comings and goings there.

quiltingnana said...

your trips to the museums are fun to hear about...keep on telling the tales