Sunday, February 22, 2009

Portobello Road

Saturday, Kate, Sarah, Olivia and I went to Portobello Road, the largest antique/flea market in London. Alex and Geoff stayed home, which was a good thing. Geoff would have hated the crowds and we would have probably lost Alex many times. We got there about mid-morning and the place was already teeming with people. Although the streets were theoretically open to traffic, there were so many people that they filled the streets as well as the pavements (sidewalks). See first photo. I got Olivia to pose next to a little animated figure of a clock repairman. (2nd photo). We wandered along, popping into interesting stores and stopping at many of the booths that lined the road. I think the flea market stretch is a couple of miles long.



We went into some of the antique markets along the street and actually bought a few items. Most of the good antiques are way beyond my price range, but it's still fun to look. The booth in the third photo above sold old uniforms.

My daughter, who really doesn't like antiques, bought a little tin box with a pretty picture on it and some interesting buttons. She also looked longingly at all the lovely old fabric and oriental rugs. Olivia bought a hat to replace one that was recently lost. I can't remember if Sarah bought anything - I think not. She hangs onto her money. I bought a wonderful piece of pink and yellow art glass (probably from the '50s), a glass giraffe, a necklace with red and black beads, and a set of salt and pepper shakers that are miniature red telephone booths. They will look very good in my kitchen. None of these things are antique, of course, although the art glass is collectible.


--------

First photo on the left is a store just outside the market. Middle photo is a bakery stall in the market. Photo on right is taken through a shop window. The car is only a half car with pizzas protruding out the windows. Good pizza too, although the bite I had was too spicy hot for me.

All in all, we had a fun day, but I don't think I will ever go back. Camden Market is really better for flea market stuff and since it is open during the week, it is less crowded. Covent Gardens also has antiques and flea market stuff, so perhaps I will drop by there next week. I plan to go into London several times, since Kate will be working.







2 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting post. I've been to London just once and enjoyed my time there. Enjoy the remainder of our visit.

mumzy said...

You had an interesting day. Nice pictures too. Looks like you are having fun in England.