Tuesday, March 24, 2009

another buying spree

At least nobody can say that I am not supporting the economy!! I stopped by JoAnn's just to get a fabric cutting board, since I had a coupon. (Turns out I didn't need the coupon, as the boards were on sale.) So there I was in the fabric department and I thought I would just take a glance at the sale fabric, especially the blues, since the last time I bought fabric it was almost all green and brown. I'm sure you can guess what happened. I'd better find some sewing project to do now that I have all this lovely fabric. I bought a couple of sweat shirts at a thrift shop last week, so may try decorating them. Or maybe I'll try to make some fabric postcards. I don't need more pillow covers, so that is out. If and when I do make something, you'll see it here.
So far the only down side to buying all this fabric is that when I wash it, it ravels badly along the cut sides. I think Kate doesn't have this problem, as her washer is a front loader, which is gentler than our American ones. I asked the girl at the fabric store about the raveling and she said that there is some stuff you can buy and apply along the cut edges (like wax). However, I think that would be more trouble than just trimming off the ravelings after washing. Maybe it I had a piece of very special fabric, i.e., expensive, I would use something like that.




3 comments:

Pat said...

What a nice assortment of fabrics! I can't wait to see some of the projects you make with them.

mumzy said...

Lucky you to have gotten all that fabric and such nice colours too.

Please be advised that I have nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award. Your blog is always interesting and you deserve an award for it. You can view it on my blog.

Kate North said...

One thing you can do about ravelling (though it also gets tedious if you have a lot of fabric) is pink the edges. Larger cuts of fabric don't ravel as badly, either.