Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring is here - maybe?

We've had two days of lovely spring weather with temps in the 70s! Today seems to be another one with blue skies and sunshine. I don't expect it to last. We'll no doubt get at least one more cold spell this month, but right now it's wonderful. I have little daffodils blooming out front as well as a couple of crocus. (is the plural of crocus 'croci' or 'crocuses'?) Over the past couple of days I have replaced all the winter pictures and the black, white and red items ( except my amaryllis) in my living room with spring things. This means the art glass now displayed on the bakers racks at the front windows is purple, green or yellow. I bought a lovely new lavender piece at Covent Market, so that is on display in a place of honor, i.e., on a small table without competition from the many houseplants that vie with the glass for space on the bakers racks. If you are thinking that I have too much stuff, you are absolutely correct! Even rotating things seasonally, I have more things than I can display. As Kate keeps telling me, I need to get rid of some (make that many) things. Too bad neither my son or daughter wants any of them! The next time they both come to visit, I plan to make them look at my stuff and take some back with them.

Yesterday, I went to an art exhibit at the Montpelier Arts Center. This was an open show by the Laurel Arts Guild. It was interesting, although most of what they were showing was paintings and photographs. There was very little three dimensional art, which is what I really like. Two pieces of fiber art Nothing ceramic. I have toyed with the idea of submitting one of my ceramic masks. Maybe next time....

Last night was the meeting of one of my book groups. This group reads very interesting books - ones that stretch the mind and require some effort to understand. In other words, not at all like my usual choices for relaxing reading (mysteries and romances). Last night's meeting was one where each of us talked about a book we had read. Luckily, I had read something at Kate's that I could talk about. It is called 'Homestead' and is by Rosina Lippi. It is a series of little stories about people (mostly women) who live in the mountains of western Austria. The stories span the years from 1909 to 1977. Many of the women are related and the reader can trace relationships, although it isn't necessary for enjoyment of the book. Lippi lived for two years in a village in the area, studying the dialect of the area, teaching and talking with the women. Her book is fiction, but she says that the women she talked to might recognize some aspects of themselves in the characters of the book. It was fascinating to read about lives so different from ours today.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I, too, have too much stuff and try to rotate it...and I worry how my daughter will deal with this when something happens to me. BUT....I am going to enjoy it all while I can. I am trying to make myself clean enough today so I can give myself permission to put out my spring decorations as a reward for staying focused on the task at hand (which isn't easy as I get distracted by fun things and put the work aside)!