Saturday, March 28, 2009

another rainy day


Here is a photo of the little creek behind my house. When we have a good rain, the creek turns into a raging river. Pretty impressive, isn't it? That big log was washed down our way during a previous rainstorm. Luckily, the river is not nearly as close to my house, as it appears. There is a steep bank (maybe 50 feet down to the river), so my property is perfectly safe.
This morning when I went out as usual to pick up my Washington Post newspaper, I found the carrier had only used one plastic bag and the paper was wet all the way through! (Our papers are thrown from a car, so they must be bagged. We never know where they will land, although often it is actually on my sidewalk!) I will admit, upfront, that I am a news junkie, but only as related to written news. I don't watch news on TV. Since retirement, I have gotten used to reading the paper at breakfast. So today, I had to do something with this very soggy paper. You're gonna laugh. First I tried putting sections of the paper over the hot air registers in the kitchen. However, that was a very slow process, as my heat pump seldom puts out really hot air. In desperation I got out my hair dryer, taped it, pointing to the floor, to a step-stool, and laid the paper on the floor beneath the stool. It worked! It was fast! Of course, the final product was a dry, but wrinkled paper. It really needed ironing. However, I did NOT iron it; I just read around the wrinkles!
I don't really mind that today is rainy, as I have many indoor things that I need to do. Number one is the income tax paperwork. I filled it out last week, but need to review it to ensure that it's done correctly. I made some errors on previous years (in the government's favor) and the process for correcting errors on past years is VERY CONFUSING and time consuming. So I'm trying really hard to get it all right the first time. Also by staying in today, I could be cleaning my house, which really needs it. Of course, neither of those things is fun, which is why I am still on the computer, playing around in blogland.

2 comments:

Pat said...

That little stream sure does get angry-looking after a bit of rain! Funny about the newspaper. (I'd be contacting the delivery person about not double-bagging in this kind of weather, though....don't want to have to dry your paper on a regular basis!)

mumzy said...

Glad to see your house is perfectly safe. We have been watching the news on TV and feel really sorry for the people that have been flooded in the States and Canada. In our area, we do have a river running through our closest City and it tends to flood every year in the Spring. This year, they are already preparing for more flooding than usual due to the excessive amount of snow we have had this Winter.

Have a Great Day and stay dry!