Wednesday, March 18, 2009

a wonderful new supermarket

I had an interesting day. After my morning of working in the church library, I decided to go for a walk in Columbia before I went home. I stopped for some lunch, which I took with me to Lake Elkhorn. Ate lunch listening to some little birds singing their courting songs and then walked around the lake. It was a great day for a walk - sunny, but cool with a bit of a breeze. I saw many turtles, sunning themselves on rocks and floating logs. It's odd, but I never see really little turtles. Maybe the little ones stay hidden close to shore.

After my walk, I decided to stop in at a new supermarket that is less than half a mile out of my way, going home. It's a Harris Teeter - a store I've never been to before. I think perhaps it's a southern chain. Anyway, it is a fabulous store! The store bakery has bread to die for - lots of artisan breads. And they were offering samples of about 8 of them. Yum! I found a very nice selection of cheeses imported from France, Italy, Germany,Greece, England, Ireland, and other countries. When I'm in England, I love that there are so many different cheeses. It is great to find a good selection here in the US. Unfortunately, they are NOT cheap! I didn't buy any today, as I have two pieces of cheese in the fridge now, but I will splurge occasionally and get some special ones. The produce was extensive and looked good. There is a large selection or organic produce, too. The store is huge and has a far greater selection of almost everything than does my usual store. I'm sure it is also more expensive, so I won't be shopping there every week, but maybe once a month as a treat. When Kate and Geoff come to visit, they will enjoy Harris Teeter, since one of their major complaints about the US is that we don't have much good cheese or bread in our stores.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Just sent you an email about Harris Teeter. We LOVE that store!!!

Kate North said...

sounds really promising - can't wait to check it out!

mumzy said...

Never heard of Harris Teeter, and I wonder if they have one of their stores in the Naples area of Florida. If so, I will have to look it up when and if we go next winter. Sounds like a nice store to visit.